Getting sick of Green water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Getting sick of Green water

Alright, its been a month and im REALLY sick of the green water, anyone have a solution? ive got a lowlighting setup but my tank recieves direct sunlight which i believe to be the main cause. should i pick up a UV sterelizer or would just CO2 work?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Obviously you're not a golfer."
-The Dude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
UV will kill it and clear the water sized right but it will come back until you adjust overall lighting issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Co2 or co2 booster will help to a piont cover the tank to block out the light and do a big water change.

I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I had repeat episodes of GW until I increased the biological media in the sump.

Keeping the window shade down and allowing plants to cover the surface of the tank would get rid of it before I did that however.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
ok thanks all, ill probably try cover the tank firsst before i get into spending some $, but if it doesnt work i might go CO2 for plants along with a UV sterelizer, thanks for the imput

"Obviously you're not a golfer."
-The Dude
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Def get the UV , they work great , just run when you see a bloom starting , when you do a water change or when you add new plants or fish . they also kill parasites I believe

Why is my tank never big enough
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Get the UV. CO2 won't do anything for green water.

You can get cheap 9w UV systems from China on ebay that apparently do a bang up job.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (61/100%)
Yeah, UV is the way to go, around $40 from *bay, a little bulky though. I ran it for 2 days and did a big water change. Water is crystal clear afterward. I didn't use it anymore after that (it is an eyesore), but try to fix your root cause or you will have to run continuously.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Another option is to blast your tank with light. Green water will go away when they've used up all of the nutrients.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
GW is a biological control of ammonia when enough light is present. increase bio media and or oxygen levels. chagne some water frequently to speed up removal.. as it dies it will release ammonia so that has to be handled as well this is the main reason for the water changes.

UV will kill it, not solve the problem

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode