ro water remineralizer?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
ro water remineralizer??

well i am using RO Water and i was wondering what is the cheapest way to get my ro mineralize ? for my yellow neo shrimps and my OEBT? i heard the when using RO water you need to remineralize the water... true or false? and if true... what do i need to add back into it and also what do i need to buy? where to get it cheap and how much of it do i need to mix? i'm using about 30 gals of water...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am not a pro. I just started using 100% r/o on my planted tank because I have liquid rock out of my tap. Now I can tell you it gets a little tricky. First you must add back the GH, general hardness, which can be done cheaper by going to Aquarium fertilizer .com. You can buy potassium sulfate , calcium sulfate, & magnesium sulfate. I believe its 3 parts ca, 1 part Mg, 3 parts k. But double check on the site. Then you have to add back the Kh using regular baking soda to the level you need by using the kh test kit. Then you will need a good trace element for your livestock. I use seachem trace elements. Now seachem also sells a gh booster that is very popular but could act as a buffer & could be more expensive. If you want to grow plants you will also need additional fertilizer as well. To answer your question , yes you do need to remineralize or certain death to any of your creatures & or plants will happen fast!!!!! Do your homework and experiment. I just gave you the basics. Buy a hardness regency test kit & kh regency, you are gonna need them for sure. Good luck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Since this is for sensitive shrimp, you likely won't want to DIY this.

There are several options. The two most expensive (that are easy to obtain) are probably Mosura Mineral Plus Ultra and Shirakura Ca+.

The cheaper option and one that will last longer is Salty Shrimp Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+. Comes in powder form. There are a couple forum sponsors that sell it. Though, there are other retailers that offer it at a cheaper price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i had my shrimps in the ro water for over a month no and they seem to still be alive... i did had death when tank was first started but after a few days they all settle down and everything seems to be fine....if thats the case that a mineralizae is needed why not just use tap water?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Tap water, at least at my place is pretty hard 11dgh. Your water definitely needs mineralization. Any of the products above will work, just change your water very slowly.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i think doing a 50/50 tap and ro water change at 20% is better i wont need to use any chemicals in my tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode