How long does your CO2 last? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How long does your CO2 last?

I'm thinking about getting a 5lb. tank, regulator with a solenoid for my new 40b. I'm just curious how long your tanks last. I'm going 5 lbs. for cost reasons at this point... I know a 10 would be better in the long run... just can't do it right now. What size tank, bps, time on, etc. I know there are many many variables... just trying to get an idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 05:24 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
A 5lb tank lasts about 3 months for me on a 90G. ~5bps for 8 hours a day.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
A 5lb tank lasts about 3 months for me
Wow! That's awesome . I was thinking it would be a bimonthly or monthly trip to get it refilled. It's amazing how much gas is packed into those things. Thanks for the reply, it's reassuring.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 06:06 AM
Planted Member

really shows the savings in money and hassle long term in going for the full size set ups over the paintball setups. It cost me 17 dollars to refill my 20lb tank and ten bucks the last time I refilled my paintball tank.

Though I could see if I had tiny little nanos everywhere in my house like some people do and wanted to do CO2 in them the PB setups are much more compact.

Last edited by Sotty; 10-18-2012 at 06:08 AM. Reason: added text
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 06:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
my 5lb tank at 1bps on my mini m is still in the green (full) after 1 year. (only after I got rid of all the leaks and invested in some teflon tape, have I more than doubled the life of my co2 tank)

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Algae Grower

I use a 5 lb tank and feed appx 8-10 bbs. I just changed it out because the pressure dropped and I didn't want it to dump into the tank. It lasted 4 months. Before I had it refilled I emptied it out side. Fully opened, it gassed off for about 1 min. at least! Apparently, it probably would have lasted another month!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 07:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
my 5lb tank at 1bps on my mini m is still in the green (full) after 1 year. (only after I got rid of all the leaks and invested in some teflon tape, have I more than doubled the life of my co2 tank)
I think you can answer a question I have been pondering for the last few weeks now. I have a 10 pound tank on a 5.5G nano tank and am on track for it to last probably a year also. I cant see the stamp with the CO2 tank under my desk right now, but am assuming it will expire before I bring the tank back. When I go to swap my tank back at the welding company, am I going to have to pay them for the tank test on their tank?

Where in NY do you get yours filled? Do you swap?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The hydro test is good for five years for the tanks I have used. Whether you pay for the hydro test is a dealer decision. One place charged me and gave me a tank which expired in a month. I took it to another dealer next time. The second dealer looked at the tank and said they "cover" it for their customers and did not charge me. He explained that they do so many tests it is just not a big enough deal to charge their customers. He looked at me and told me he would just rather keep customers. Good service is where it starts!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That is good service, that would certainly make me go back to them if they did that.

They made me pay the first time I went, I am assuming it was because I bought them an old tank that wasnt theres. I was fine with that. I will not go back to them if they make me pay for their tank's hydro test.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I get about 14 weeks out of a 5lbs tank I swapped my tank for a Service tank at the place I use and they just swap them all I did was save the Tank fee. but i don't have to worry about hydro testing anymore silly DOT.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 07:16 AM
Planted Member

Yeah I had a place try to charge me for the hydro test once. Went back on a different day and got a different person, No charge, lol. Last tank I got expired in 6 months and I refused the tank. They went back and got me one that had four years left until next test. Just ask, when I told them what it was for and they realized that my tank would last me about 1-1.5 years (20 lb tank) they were pretty understanding. Though they didn't fully believe me that that was what it was for they kept hinting that it was must be for some kind of high tech hydroponic medical marijuana set up. I finally had to show them pictures and they were a bit disappointed. It was a welding supply store btw.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

nOob question: Do new tanks come tested and approved, or is this one of the processes of getting a new one?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manik View Post
nOob question: Do new tanks come tested and approved, or is this one of the processes of getting a new one?
New cylinders are already tested and ready to go.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluek24a4 View Post
I think you can answer a question I have been pondering for the last few weeks now. I have a 10 pound tank on a 5.5G nano tank and am on track for it to last probably a year also. I cant see the stamp with the CO2 tank under my desk right now, but am assuming it will expire before I bring the tank back. When I go to swap my tank back at the welding company, am I going to have to pay them for the tank test on their tank?

Where in NY do you get yours filled? Do you swap?
Hey Bluek24a4 I got the tank at a welding supply store in maspeth. (I think it was called awisco). I originally had an aluminum tank that I purchased years ago that was expired. They took it to be tested and gave me a steel one in return. They didn't charge me for the test, however, when I went back in to swap out my steel tank I realized that they had misplaced my aluminum tank and couldn't find it. Didn't matter. They just swapped out the steel one and gave me another 5lbs tank. Make sure you invest in some teflon tape (gas) when you assemble your regulator and test any connections for leaks when you set it up. invest in a good wrench too. once I properly connected my co2 tank to my regulator did I finally realize how much co2 i had wasted before through improper seals and leaks. anyway. the welding supply store in maspeth is awesome. i can't imagine you would have to pay them for a test on their own tank. best of luck!! w

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's actually where I got mine from also. Thats very good to know. Thanks for the info Fat Guy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode