High ph how do I lower it. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
High ph how do I lower it.

My ph is high 7.8 how do I lower it. I'll try some api ph down but how do i do it with out adding chemicals all the time.

What cause the PH to be so high. Am I missing something causing it to raise up?

I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

First, why do you want to lower it.

Second, using chemicals is always a loosing battle and you are constantly going to be trying to add more or less after each water change to get it lower or higher.

What is your tap water pH. If you're just keeping fish or plants, 7.8 is fine. Most fish will adapt to most pH's better than you messing with it all the time and making it unstable.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was talking to a friend and he thinks my lack luster growth might be related to the ph I just want to get it down to 7.4 and see if that speeds up some of the growth.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 01:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)
mixing it with RO water would lower the TDS, KH and GH. and lowering the KH would indirectly lower your pH. You can do this as long as the GH would not be too low after mixing with RO.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrguy View Post
I was talking to a friend and he thinks my lack luster growth might be related to the ph I just want to get it down to 7.4 and see if that speeds up some of the growth.
Lights, ferts, co2 are all going to effect plants more than pH will and going from 7.8 to 7.4 is more trouble than it's worth. What kind of tank, what kinds of lights, how long are they on for, do your use co2, do fert dose? I can get plants to grow in 5ph to 8ph depending on which tank and they'll grow in both, if the 3 things above are met properly.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It a 29g with a DB Solar-Max Ho 2x24 watts its now lite for 8 hour down from 12 hour and it has a DIY CO2 and the temp is mid 80's. Just lowered the temp last night so not sure what it is right now. I dose it once a week with florish complete alittle heavier then directed.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Falcon View Post
mixing it with RO water would lower the TDS, KH and GH. and lowering the KH would indirectly lower your pH. You can do this as long as the GH would not be too low after mixing with RO.

I'm new to this so that is alphabet soup. If you could break that down and how to adjust them that would be great.

Thanks.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you've got 2 HO lights right over the tank with only dosing a very basic micro fert once a week and DIY CO2, that might your imbalance. That is a lot of light, especially if it is sitting right on top of the tank. You need to dose some macro and micro ferts at least a few times a week and if you're using DIY CO2 and not getting any pH drop, are sure your DIY is working very well?

Sump Pimp #2

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I also have root tabs in the subsrate it about time to drop in some new ones. Sorry forgot about them.
What do you mean macro micro (name and maker if possible)

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:36 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrguy View Post
I'm new to this so that is alphabet soup. If you could break that down and how to adjust them that would be great.

Thanks.
KH - Carbonate hardness: measures bicarbonate and carbonate ions. Generally raised by adding baking soda sodium bicarbonate.

GH - General hardness is a measure of the concentration of divalent metal ions such as calcium and magnesium (Ca2+, Mg2+) per volume of water. Generally raised by aquarist's by add Seachem Equilibrium, or Epsom salt (contains Mg2+)

TDS - is a measure of the combined content of all inorganic and organic substances contained in a liquid in: molecular, ionized or micro-granular suspended form. Basically all the crap that is dissolved in your water.

RO water - Reverse Osmosis water. Water that has been passed through a membrane that keeps all the crap we talked about above out leaving it with almost 0 TDS.

Ok all that being said, except for very special cases the only way you need to worry about lowering your pH in your tank is by adding more CO2. I would agree with GeToChKn that if you aren't seeing any drop in pH with your DIY its probably not working really well and you have a lot of light. This will likely lead to algae, often lots of it.

Also with that much light you will probably need to be dosing nitrates, phosphates and potassium or "Macros." If you have a really high fish load the actual macro requirements vary. The more light you have the more macros you will need.

I recommend you get some test kits for nitrate, phosphate, KH, GH and get an idea where you are at.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok thank sotty my nirates are 20 ppm. I short on cash so im trying to buy the stuff I need slowly.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 05:10 AM
Planted Member

well that's actually a good level for nitrates.

Are you having lots of algae?
Pinholes in plan leaves?

any other specific symptoms or just slow growth?

Nice grouping in your avatar btw
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Plants seem ok just slow on the grow my red ludwigia is lossing lower leave but i was thinking iit was the two chiclid ruff housing they are growing roots.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 06:12 AM
Planted Member

I feel fairly confident that the biggest thing you could do is optimize your CO2.

I have almost no experience with DIY CO2 so I won't be much help trouble shooting.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yah I need to refresh the mixture. I'll be doing that when I get home tonight.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode