PPS Pro Solutions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
PPS Pro Solutions

Is it possible to make the PPS Pro solutions without a scale? As in just going off of how many teaspoons it would take to get each level? I tried searching around but couldn't find anything. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 02:21 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Check APC fertalator for gram to tsp conversion, that should help out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick120 View Post
Check APC fertalator for gram to tsp conversion, that should help out.
Thanks! Didn't know they had that. I'll be checking it out this weekend.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What will happen with the PPS Pro method if I don't put in MgS04? I'm not yet in need of ordering more fertilizers and don't want to place an order for $2.50 right now. Will there be any downfalls? Can I just use tapwater to make the solution or should I use something else?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Epsom salt = MgS04

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Yes you can use tap water if you don't have much "stuff" aka dissolved solids in there. My tap has a TDS of 20 so I use it but you can use bottled water. If you boil it it'll be easier for the ferts to dissolve as it can be hard with simple room temp water.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Epsom salt from the garden dept. +++

7 pouunds for $4 !
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks JKan!

What does the epsom salt do for the plants?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 05:43 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEden8 View Post
Thanks JKan!

Provide MgS04?
Is this a trick question?

Hey how's the filter clogging issue going? Did you get it the way you wanted it flowing yet?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Thanks JKan!

Provides magnesium which is needed for chlorophyll synthesis among other things.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFoleys View Post
Provide MgS04?
Is this a trick question?

Hey how's the filter clogging issue going? Did you get it the way you wanted it flowing yet?
HAHA no trick question. I've been using the EI dosing method for the past 3 years which didn't say anything about MgS04 and the PPS Pro method does. Just trying to learn about the different fertilizing methods as I'm going to be switching over to the PPS Pro.

Thanks for asking about the filter. I cleaned it all out yesterday and removed the floss and added the Purigen. So far so good. We will see how the flow goes after a couple of weeks. Thanks for the help with it! I also picked up a Hydor Koralia 425 pump yesterday and I will be returning my 750 that I originally bought but had too much flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotty View Post
Provides magnesium which is needed for chlorophyll synthesis among other things.
So can I just add epsom salt to my solutions instead of purchasing the fertilizer itself?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Planted Member

Sure..... Cheaper too like plantedrich pointed out.
Many store bought Epsom salts packaged for stores in the milk like containers have a large grain. Making them a little tougher to dissolve. Like jkan suggests boiling the water will help the solubility of most salts.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I put my first dose of pps pro in both of my tanks today. My 27 gallon seems fine but my 90 is really cloudy. Could this be from the frets?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
HAHA no trick question. I've been using the EI dosing method for the past 3 years which didn't say anything about MgS04 and the PPS Pro method does. Just trying to learn about the different fertilizing methods as I'm going to be switching over to the PPS Pro.
EI does in fact mention Mg and Ca as GH booster.
Not sure which version you read, but I never leave that one out.
I have not since I started helping folks in 1996.

Quote:
So can I just add epsom salt to my solutions instead of purchasing the fertiliz
er itself?
Yes.

PPS is simply adding much less ferts, both add the same things, just at different rates. Some add a lot more PPS, then it's like EI, or they dose less EI, then it's leaner like PPS, but this is not exclusive to either methods, folks will add more/less to suit regardless, this does not define the method.

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...nd-other-myths

And from the article:

"SeaChem Equilibrium 1/8 teaspoon after water change." for a 20 Gal tank, this adds a nice mix of Ca and Mg.

If you want to adjust those individually, you certainly may, but I've found it only matters if the individual cations become limiting, eg, Liebig's Law applies in ALL cases. I've never seen a a confirmed Ca++ deficiency, not saying they cannot happen, just never seen one yet.

Mg++? Likely quite a bit, perhaps more than many think.
These I have seen.

Most just dose about 1 tsp per 60 gal of tank weekly, this resolves any K, Ca, Mg deficiency. Even at the highest rates of growth, this is plenty for all plants even if you have very soft tap water.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
EI does in fact mention Mg and Ca as GH booster.
Not sure which version you read, but I never leave that one out.
I have not since I started helping folks in 1996.

Yes.

PPS is simply adding much less ferts, both add the same things, just at different rates. Some add a lot more PPS, then it's like EI, or they dose less EI, then it's leaner like PPS, but this is not exclusive to either methods, folks will add more/less to suit regardless, this does not define the method.

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...nd-other-myths

And from the article:

"SeaChem Equilibrium 1/8 teaspoon after water change." for a 20 Gal tank, this adds a nice mix of Ca and Mg.

If you want to adjust those individually, you certainly may, but I've found it only matters if the individual cations become limiting, eg, Liebig's Law applies in ALL cases. I've never seen a a confirmed Ca++ deficiency, not saying they cannot happen, just never seen one yet.

Mg++? Likely quite a bit, perhaps more than many think.
These I have seen.

Most just dose about 1 tsp per 60 gal of tank weekly, this resolves any K, Ca, Mg deficiency. Even at the highest rates of growth, this is plenty for all plants even if you have very soft tap water.

Hope this helps.
Thanks PlantBrain! Lots of good information as usual! I did not realize that the GH Booster was Mg.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode