Having a hard time finding Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Having a hard time finding Calcium Chloride (CaCl2)

I called around to some home brew places today and they all acted like they had no clue what CaCl2 was. I thought that was a common product there.

So, not having luck there, I tried Home Depot. They pointed me to the Pool Supply area. There was a product called Calcium Plus, and it said it contained Calcium Chloride, but in fine print on the side it also said it contained other stuff. I called the hTh (Poolife product line) hotline and they said that it contained some chemicals not safe for fish.

Any other ideas on where to find pure CaCl2 locally? Think pool supply companies would have access to it? If I explained to them the purpose of it so they wouldn't give me some pool-purpose stock.

I am lost on ideas otherwise. I guess I can just order Greg, but only need that product right now, so would be spending 2x as much on shipping as the product itself

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 04:42 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cacl2 is a readily available and regularily used substance in reef aquauriums.

also known as kalk in the reef hobby...here is a list of some online retailers that have the stuff.

www.marinedepot.com
www.premiumaquatics.com
www.customaquatics.com

these are some of the biggest and best online retailers for aquarium stuff...mostly saltwater. sorry , i am a total saltwater guy just starting to acquire knowledge on fw planted aquariums.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Why do you think you NEED it? What is your gH? If the local home brew shops don't carry it I have a feeling it's because your water already contains enough calcium to do the job. All the local home brew stores around here carry it because we have very soft water out of the tap. And some styles of beer really need to be brewed in harder water. So they carry the calcium chloride.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

GH is at 5d. Enough Calcium I am sure, but I was just going to start giving it a booster each water change. My tap water recently dropped from 7d down to the current 5d, so also want to jump on the game before they change it again, or at least be ready for it.

My Jungle Val has been looking a little weak lately and Ca is the only deficiency that came to mind. I will post some pics tonight to get some more analysis. maybe it is something else!

Cliff
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
www.gregwatson.com carries it, but you don't have even a mild Ca issue with those GH's.

Regards,
Tom Barr

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 09:59 PM

I know this post is dated, and the poster got his answer, but I wanted to clarify something miss-stated in this thread before someone researching calcium chloride makes a mistake and nukes his/her tank.

Quote:
Cacl2 is a readily available and regularily used substance in reef aquauriums.

also known as kalk in the reef hobby...
"Kalk" is not calcium chloride, it is calcium HYDROXIDE. A very good way to get your ph in your tank up to 10 or more. Be careful what you buy/use!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

another great reason to ALWAYS test new products on a 5g bucket prior to use in a tank holding anything alive. That goes for testing as many measureables as possible; GH, KH, pH, etc, effects.

thanks for the heads up! i ended up buying CaSO4 (Plaster of Paris) as a calcium supplement anyway. I don't add much, just 1 GHd more worth each water change... a little booster never hurts

btw, where in Dallas do you live? you in the DFW Aquatic Plant group?

Cliff
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 02:46 AM

Hi Spar!

I'm around the Northwest highway/ Abrams area. I've never been to a DFW plant meeting since I just switched to planted aquariums from reef aquariums. I used to occasionally stop by the DFWMAS meetings, but haven't in years.

Justin
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

always a good time to join!

come by the meeting this weekend (Saturday @ 1pm) if you have time. It is at my house. PM for the address if you need it.

have any pictures of your old Reef setups? I won't go Reef because I know I will never go back to FW. Too much FW tanks right now to risk that

Cliff
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
Wow..plaster of paris? That's the first I've seen that listed as a CaCl2 source! I bought some QuikJoe IceMelt this past winter and kept a full container around all summer. I knew I'd need it! My water has about 0 hardness to it.
Came in handy with tomatoes this summer also..

30g planted with cories, white clouds, Harlequin Rasboras ,ottos.
10g planted with glowlight tetras and an otto.
Outdoor pond with one common goldfish and comets.
5.5g with endlers.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 03:41 AM

Is the plaster of paris calcium carbonate or calcium chloride?

This is a link to the thread where I introduced myself here - midway through the first page is a pic of my reef tank. I already took a bit of heat for my freshwater tank but I think I will have some pics this weekend that will help people like it more
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/s...ead.php?t=20992

I wish I could go this saturday but I have to work and then have a meeting for a group project at school. Does the club have a website?

Last edited by cat_rancher; 09-16-2005 at 04:46 AM. Reason: add link
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 03:45 AM

Whoops

Just read your post a little closer, it's calcium sulphate. I had no idea you could use that for anything. Does it have an adverse affect on your ph or is it pretty safe?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_rancher
Whoops

Just read your post a little closer, it's calcium sulphate. I had no idea you could use that for anything. Does it have an adverse affect on your ph or is it pretty safe?
Yep, CaSO4 (calcium sulfate).

It is no effect on KH or pH. Just GH. On the Plaster of Paris box it says it contains CaCO3 also, which would imply an effect on KH (thus pH), but testing it on a 5g bucket and also in my tank, I never saw any movement in either pH or KH. So even if some CO3 is in there, it is unmeasureable, and safe anyway.

You have to multiply the ppm CaSO4 added by 2.5 to get to your effect on GH though. So adding 1ppm CaSO4 actually increases GH by 2.5ppm.

The link to the DFW Plant club is: http://www.aquatic-plants.org/

Hope to see you around!

Cliff
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 04:47 AM

Thanks for the link,

I realized I didn't include the link to my reef tank in the last post so I edited it in
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_rancher
Thanks for the link,

I realized I didn't include the link to my reef tank in the last post so I edited it in
brings up page can't be found

Cliff

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode