Need opinions on whether this method diffusing c02 is ok - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need opinions on whether this method diffusing c02 is ok

Alright so the previous way I had my c02 hooked....... check valve> chopstick that as been cut> intake side of nano powerhead, the bubbles were nice and fine & distributed well around the tank *8 gallon biocube*. However my plants are fragile & the current moves the plants all over the place.

So I kept everything the same except I cut out a piece of mesh sponged & jammed it into the outlet of the powerhead. The good news is the plants don't move all over the place & the fish seem happier. The bubbles seem way finer now & move up to the top extremely slow, however It doesn't go all around the tank. Is this ok or am I better off putting it back to the original way I had it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
if that is ur only source of water movement, then u might wanna reduce some of the mesh,, but if there is a filter adding water movement as well. i'd say the co2 will make it to the other side.. maybe not in bubble form, but some of it that is dissolved will make it

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I found that a powerhead works best if it has the flow directed along the back glass. That sets up a circular water flow throughout most of the tank, and prevents blasting plants with the high velocity water flow. When you block the powerhead outlet you are just reducing the flow from the powerhead and reducing the water circulation in the tank.

Hoppy

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I do have a filter running, but I also reduced the flow in that as well, It uses a wet/dry system taking water from one corner then going out the other top half but I added water past the recommended level to reduce splashing.

I tried adding the c02 to the return pump of the filter but it doesn't do a good job since it has to go through a tub on it's way up and then go through a 90 degree bend it kind of just gurgles & gets loud
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

tube"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode