SURVEY: who uses Purigen and CSM+B - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
SURVEY: who uses Purigen and CSM+B

From a different thread we got a bit off topic and began to discuss the use of CSM+B with Purigen. Specifically that the EDTA in CSM+B renders the Purigen harmful after the specified regeneration procedure. I contacted Seachem who had this to say:

"You can certainly use both products in the same tank, however I would not recommend regenerating Purigen once it has exhausted. Instead, you should replace the exhausted Purigen with fresh Purigen in order to avoid contaminating your tank with chloramines.

Any amine based product, including EDTA comprised chemicals, do pose as a problem and should be avoided if wanting to regenerate Purigen for future use."

I suspect that there must be hundreds, if not thousands of users, using both these products because the warning against EDTA is not prominent.

I can't help wonder if this is a real problem, or a "storm in a teacup". I like Purigen but its not cheap and I won't use it if I have to replace it each time with new product.

I'd like to hear from users. Do you use this combination? If so, have you experienced problems after regeneration of the Purigen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
Thanks for the heads up. I was not aware of this at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Wow

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I do. Thanks for the info. I was just talking to someone earlier about how I don't see any difference in water clarity when using it and when not.
This may shine some light on why I had massive die offs in a healthy tank. It does somewhat coincide with the time I started using CSMB. What could be some of the signs that the Purigen is contaminated?

40B, T5HO, Turface, pressurized co2,EI dosing
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
I think what he's saying is the EDTA is absorbed by the purigen, and as a byproduct of recharging the purigen, chloramine is released. There should be no danger in using FRESH purigen with EDTA iron sources, just don't recharge and reuse. Purigen is a nice product, it definitely deals with tannins. However, this will make me think twice on using it long term anymore since the bags are not cheap. I was just getting ready to recharge some.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I used them for a while and even recharged them couple of times. I then stopped using it because I didn't like the recharging process. Now, I am using it again since I am not planning to recharge it. Seriously, a half 250l bottle can tread up to 100g for 6 months. If you have a smaller tank, a single bottle would set you up for a year. That's what I am planning to use it. Is cheaper than using activated carbon....

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BodyBlade View Post
I do. Thanks for the info. I was just talking to someone earlier about how I don't see any difference in water clarity when using it and when not.
This may shine some light on why I had massive die offs in a healthy tank. It does somewhat coincide with the time I started using CSMB. What could be some of the signs that the Purigen is contaminated?

Plants dying or fish dying???

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
hmm only regenerated twice and not having any problems. i even add extra iron on top of csm.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
If this is legit, it could explain a small die-off I had. But only maybe.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
Plants dying or fish dying???
Fish

40B, T5HO, Turface, pressurized co2,EI dosing
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BodyBlade View Post
What could be some of the signs that the Purigen is contaminated?
I'm not aware that there are any signs. It would be good if there were.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
I think what he's saying is the EDTA is absorbed by the purigen, and as a byproduct of recharging the purigen, chloramine is released. There should be no danger in using FRESH purigen with EDTA iron sources, just don't recharge and reuse.
That's what I understand to be true from previous correspondence with Seachem. If you go their support forum you will see the correspondence under my same user ID regarding regeneration of Purigen using a conditioner containing EDTA.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 02:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Interesting. I use Purigen and CSM+B and have recharged it once. I did not see any immediate or long term affects. I have had a few deaths here and there, but I'm not convinced that it would be from the Purigen. However, given this news I will likely stay away from recharging it from now on. Better safe than sorry.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
!!!

I use Purigen in one tank, just ordered Miller microplex. Chelating agent: EDTA. Grumble!

Thanks for the heads up. I was completely unaware.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 01:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Thanks for the heads up!

I wasn't going to regenerate it anyways tho, I dont have the guts.
Lol!

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode