Does purigen remove NO3? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Does purigen remove NO3?

I'm dosing EI and I can't seam to keep nitrates in my tank. Inks 75g and after two days my tank is consuming 2 tsp of kno3. I have purigen in the tank. Does that remove nitrates or is it really being consumed by my plants? EI says to does 3/4 tsp. my phosphate on the other hand tends to stay really high.

Does purigen remove NO3?

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- 20g shrimp jungle --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
No, it shouldn't. Purigen only removes the organics that break down into ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

How are you testing your nitrate? Is your test kit still good?

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer

Last edited by Monster Fish; 10-01-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: typo

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Can definitely vouch for Purigen not absorbing nitrates. Wish it did.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
How are you testing your nitrate? Is your test kit still good?

THIS right here ^^^^

if u have he api test kit. make sure its still good..
and SHAKE THE SECOND BOTTLE till ur head hurts

Sump Pimp #7

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
THIS right here ^^^^

if u have he api test kit. make sure its still good..
and SHAKE THE SECOND BOTTLE till ur head hurts
I do receive a range of nitrate readings from other tanks that are not planted nor with purigen. I have not tested it per say with known solutions.

I have to admit I'm a little lax about shaking the second bottle. Could I have screwed up the concentration in bottle 2?

My API test kit is almost out. Should I buy another API test, or try the nutrifin one for nitrates?

When I did the water change last night, I went ahead and removed my purigen and installed the new active carbon filter that came with the filter originally. My drift wood is still leaching tanins and I've been pulling out the color. I dosed the originally recommended KNO3 level and will measure this evening with my API kit so see where it sits.

Question about the EI dosing... What type of tank are the recommended dosing set up for? I have a med light tank (PAR of 40) that is moderately planted. Should the 3/4 tsp KNO3 be sufficient for 2 days? Do people dose higher levels and if so, by how much?

If I get a chance to buy some distilled water, I'll calibrate my test kits per https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...25&postcount=1

Thanks

[
-- 20g shrimp jungle --
]
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

u can easily dose higher levels up to 200 ppm of ntirates without lethal ramifications.

but dosing unmodified EI on ur tank will give u all that u need at 40 PAR, if that's what u truly have at the substrate

Sump Pimp #7

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
See how the EI recipes are shown for a range of tank sizes?
The more concentrated end of that dosing is for higher light tanks with pressurized CO2.
The less concentrated end of that dosing is for medium light tanks, maybe DIY or Excel, or lower level of pressurized CO2.

EI is just a starting point. Go ahead and alter it as you see fit. Whatever works for you is the best way to use EI.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The recipe is 3/4 tsp. for a 65-80 gal tank. Last test was 2 tsp. which was completely gone in two days.

How much do people go above the initial levels? Diana, you have a high light tank, how much do you dose?

[
-- 20g shrimp jungle --
]
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphack View Post
The recipe is 3/4 tsp. for a 65-80 gal tank. Last test was 2 tsp. which was completely gone in two days.

How much do people go above the initial levels? Diana, you have a high light tank, how much do you dose?
I have high light, i dose standard EI levels. and feed my fish and have aquasoil and almost everything i dose gets used.

Sump Pimp #7

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Good to know. I am more suspicious of my NO3 test.

Here is a picture of a plant deficiency:

According to the charts, it is magnesium deficiency. Tom mentioned it might also be nitrogen shortage. Nitrogen testing shows a lack of NO3.

[
-- 20g shrimp jungle --
]
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

although possible. to be ntirate deficient. adding2 tsp of kn03 to ur tank should have given u a clearly measurable rise in nitrates on a 75 gallon
1/4 tsp is easily measurable on my 29

Sump Pimp #7

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yea, I didn't get around to measuring 15 minutes after dosing. I'll be checking this evening after 24 hours. And if needed, tomorrow morning after adding more.

[
-- 20g shrimp jungle --
]
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
u can easily dose higher levels up to 200 ppm of ntirates without lethal ramifications.

but dosing unmodified EI on ur tank will give u all that u need at 40 PAR, if that's what u truly have at the substrate
Not in a shrimp tank and I only have cherry and rili shrimp. The deaths aren't nearly as quick as ammonia but it will eventually kill.

---
Get shrimped out!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpedout View Post
Not in a shrimp tank and I only have cherry and rili shrimp. The deaths aren't nearly as quick as ammonia but it will eventually kill.

---
Get shrimped out!
this is true, i should have pointed that out
THANKS for reminding

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode