Not enough Potassium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
Not enough Potassium?

I'm EI dry dosing based on the sticky at the top of this forum. GH-booster 1x a week, CSM+B 3x on off days, and KH2PO4 3x on macro days. I only dose KNO3 once a week or so because I am maintaining 5-20ppm or so nitrates with 50% weekly water changes. I am chalking it up to feeding and aquasoil. My concern is I may not be dosing enough K. I also have K2SO4 I can dose, but I have not been doing so.

I don't know how much K the GH booster adds, but I am thinking maybe a 75% dose 3x a week of K2SO4 based off the calculator.

Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sounds like we may have had the same problems. The EI dosing is a guide and often will serve better once adapted to what we find in out tanks. All tanks are different so they often will need different fert amounts.

I found I was getting high nitrate readings ( above safe) levels. I have dropped dosing KNO3 to get that down as I get plenty of nitrate from fish /food.
I had holes in leaves and felt more potassium was needed. I now have bumped the KH2PO4 and K2SO4 up for this. The leaf holes have gone away.

As we have so much calcium from limestone in our local water, I only dose a minimum CSM+b and no GH booster. I do bump some extra iron for some of my plants.

I would certainly recommend playing the dosing as you see they are need.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I'd add DTPA to the CMS+B mix, say 1:4 ratio DTPA Fe(sequestrene 330 etc). Also, merely having hard GH karst limestone tap well water etc....does not imply that you are getting enough Mg...........I've never found any tap to date that was all Mg and no/little Ca, but have seen a lot that had low/absent Mg, and lots of Ca.

So add a tablesppon of MgSO4 for each teaspoon of CMS+B.
Dose this at least 3-4x a week. Also, well water from karst systems is loaded with CO2, so......large water changes are particularly useful.

I'd add just the K2SO4 after the water change.

Regards,
Tom Barr

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thanks for that info. I'm sure I will still be tweaking things for a long while. Most of my tanks are considered a work in progress as they are often changing. I will have to do some checking on how much MG I might have in the tap. One of the smaller things, I have not gotten around to just yet.
Like learning to drive, I'm still just glad to keep it between the lines!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode