Just wondering why??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Just wondering why???

Simple question but it may require a very complex answer to fully explain. If it is a complex reason, just say so as I am likely not to understand this subject very well at that point!!

In EI dosing we use K2SO4 and KH2PO4 among others. I don't find these listed when looking over several sites which stock chemicals. One site says it stocks 800 chemicals but I don't find these two.

Am I looking at the wrong sites or are these rare chemicals of some sort? Is there some compelling reason to use these specific items if they are a rare item?

Being in a college town in the middle of farm country where ferts are a part of life but still having to have ferts shipped in from the coast just seems strange. What am I missing on this picture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
i don't get it

K2SO4 is potassium and KH2PO4 is potassium Phosphate

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
k2so4 potassium sulfate

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Our aquarium plant club got these in 50 lb bags from an agriculture supply. I have no idea where, but I sort of got the impression it was local.

Have you tried irrigation supply places like Ewing or John Deere?

Also, if there are any places nearby that supply golf courses or sports field maintenance contractors, they might have these. Used to be Lesco, but they got bought out by John Deere.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
i don't get it

K2SO4 is potassium and KH2PO4 is potassium Phosphate

EDIT: sorry your question got me confuse

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The most common fert that I hear about around here is ammonium nitrate. But then the only reason I read about it is because it is the chemical they used to blow up the federal building in Ok city and it is watched very closely now. I don't even know any farm guys by name around here or I would ask them. Downside of moving out of my comfort area.

The local farm supply name around here seems to be Tractor Supply but when I asked them about these two items it was like I was speaking a different language. They referred me to a place that sells supplies to teachers for lab classes. Anybody else in Austin that has tried to find this stuff local?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I suspect that very few of us ever buy fertilizers locally. We use such tiny amounts that a pound of each of them lasts most of us for over a year, if not over 2 years. So, it makes good sense to buy them from online stores, like http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/ or http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html and several others. A farm supply store would sell these, if they stock them, in 50 pound bags. My tank stand isn't big enough to keep 3-50 pound bags under it.

Hoppy
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Okay on that part but I'm finding need of ferts much more often than I like the shipping hassle. I get the feeling I would like just going down and buying fifty pounds once rather than ten one pound packages. If there was a local source and I had it on hand, there would be plenty of opportunities to swap, sell or trade to get rid of excess. For worst case, I could always give it to my wife for her garden uses.

When I look up ordering from chemical companies I find Chinese and they want to know how many metric tons I want! Now that is too much even for the largest tank stand.

But that still leaves me with the question of why these are so hard to find. Maybe I just don't speak "Texas" well enough? I will be going to a farm supply this afternoon to get some other things and the driver is "native" so maybe we can get a different answer.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
A few years ago I had the great idea that I could just go to a hydroponics store and buy my chemicals there, probably very cheaply. What I found is that the hydroponics stores in my area don't sell basic fertilizing compounds. Instead, they sell Acme World Famous mix, or Green Thumb in the Eye mix, etc. all of which are loaded with extra organic chemicals I didn't want. So, I gave up and just saved a fortune buying from the two stores I linked to - once every 2 years or so.

Hoppy
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm likely to be in the same boat here. I've checked at retail stores that seemed logical and found the same.
It just boggles my mind to think that I have to go INTERNET and shipping for such basic items. I know there are tons of ferts used on the fields here as I see the crops and even crop dusters fly over the house to one of the small airports nearby.
It seems it would be so easy to deal with the bags IF I could find them. While I have no aspirations of running a retail operation, I often am selling, fish, wood, media or other tank related stuff so having a bag of ferts in my shed or garage would seem to make it easy for me and anybody else who might come by for other things.

I did not make the trip to the store I had planned. The neighbor found it less travel to just go straight to the store for what we were buying. It saved us both time but I lost my opportunity for local input! My small town local farm operations have all pretty much been replaced by high tech so I may need to venture out a few miles farther where they still speak ferts.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I might throw in a note why still subject is bugging me. It is not a true dissatisfaction with the ferts or dealer I have been using. More a general disagreement with technology! It can be great or drive you totally crazy!
I have ordered ferts three times from the same dealer and have been very happy with the service I got but this time technology and "progress" has messed us up big time. Paypal is very handy---when it works.
Currently the seller and I are on the hooks of some type of automation gone berserk. The first two orders arrived as planned but this order has gone, not to me but to the house I lived in 2005. I have moved twice since then and used Paypal numerous times but now for whatever reason my home address is shown as Ballwin, Mo and my shipping info is ignored.
The tracking info tells me it is undeliverable at that address. No problem, I'll just call somebody and get them to send it here? WRONG! Have you tried to call anybody at USPS or Paypal? You can spend hours listening to recordings and jumping through hoops only to find you are back in the same endless loop.
It's enough to make you want to buy 50 pounds of ferts!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Well, my husband is a farmer, and sorry to say, even he does not buy (most) fertilizers by the 50-pound bag... he buys them by the ton. He has the local co-op pre-mix the fertilizers for him, because that is WAY easier than buying them individually and then buying a separate piece of equipment just to mix them! Plus, imagine all of the bags lying around... the seed bags are bad enough. We don't need fertilizer bags, too!

Not all co-ops stock all fertilizers. I know that the local co-op has the most common things, but if he wants a less commonly used fertilizer, he has to travel to whichever branch of the co-op stocks that fertilizer. And, he usually does not use the same chemical formulas of fertilizers that I use in my aquarium- there are different concerns for fish tanks as for field crops. We want water soluble ferts. Farmers often prefer less readily water soluble, so that the next rain does not leach them out of the ground.

I wish you luck in your quest!! Hopefully it will be much easier for you to find these than I am imagining.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Okay for a report back on this. I finally figured out what the problem was. I did not know the "code" ! I was asking for the ferts by name! I never found them locally but I did finally figure out the code and in doing so, I've figured out many fert dealers on the INTERNET are out to maximize the bottom line more than help us out.
Wow! We are really lucky to have some folks in our little hobby end of the world who are NOT working for the big bucks. After finding the code, I checked on prices at a number of places like aquaponics, Amazon and e-bay. The folks selling to that group must be laughing all the way to the bank. The ferts I buy for $5 a pound runs them $17 at some places!

Now that I'm done wondering, I'll just go back to wandering.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode