Liquid Ferts for Houseplants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Liquid Ferts for Houseplants?

I'm not sure how to calculate since I'm not dosing x gallons of water. I have dry ferts: kno3, kh2po4, csm+b, k2so4, mgso4, caso4. is it possible to make one bottle of ferts with everything? also i have flourish comp and leaf zone, would either of those work? has anyone had any experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
You can't mix your macro and micro nutrients. I know that much. Forgot the reason why, but I think they just counteract each other. Make a bottle for your Macros (NPK) and one for your micros (trace and iron) and dose them every other day if you are EI dosing or just once a week with each if only low lighting (macros on WC day, micros the next day)

If you want to use fertilizers for your house plants, you could just take your fish tank water (which has the nutrients in it already) and just water your plants that way.

Hope this helps...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, I am using fish tank water to water the houseplants, but I'm not dosing that fish tank with ferts, if that makes sense. The tank that I dose with ferts and the house that has houseplants are two different places, in other words.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
It will probably take some math to figure out, but look up some dry fertilizer products like Miracle Gro, or Peters and see what the N-P-K numbers are, and what the sources of these nutrients are. I think Peters is 16-16-16, but it has been a LONG time since I used it.

Then see if you can relate it to the fertilizers you have.

If that does not work, then try this:
If you wanted to use the used aquarium water, then you would already have put a pinch of this per gallon and a smidge of that into the tank. So put that much of each in a gallon of water exactly the same as if the gallon of water was a nano tank that you are dry dosing, and water the plants with it once, then use tap water a couple of times, then water with that 'aquarium-like' water.

At that low rate you might be OK mixing iron and phosphate, but it is OK to make 2 bottles of 'aquarium-like' water. Then I would do this:
Day 1 use macros.
Day 2 tap water.
Day 3 micros.
Day 4 tap water.
The tap water is in there just in case the fertilizer blend is too strong. If things work that way, you can keep on that way, or make changes.
If you double the concentration, then you will have to blend tap water with it when you are ready to use it, 50% 'concentrated aquarium-like water' + 50% tap water.
If you quadruple the concentration you would mix 25% fertilizer + 75% tap water
...and so on.
Eventually you would reach a point where you are adding perhaps 1/4 cup of fertilizer to a gallon of water and using this maybe once a week? At this point I would not make a blend of phosphate and iron. They will precipitate at some point.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
That makes sense mommabear. Listen to Diana, she knows what she's talking about

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

One of the houseplants is borderline aquatic and that should work well, however, the other one likes to stay dry... Practice with the the one that likes the water and then use the mix I've settled on for the dry plant once every two weeks?

...After reading that, why not just make a mix of the aquarium water that is getting dosed and take it home? lol.. duh..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plants that prefer going pretty dry between watering are usually also slow growing, and do not need high nutrients, so watering perhaps once a month with the aquarium water, then once or twice with tap water ought to be just fine for that one.

A borderline aquatic, kept with its leaves in the air will use a lot more fertilizer. You might end up watering that one every time with aquarium water.

I would not 'make a mix' of the aquarium water from the tank that is getting dosed. Just take home a gallon jug of the dirtiest water, the stuff the filter got rinsed in. Use that to water the 'dry' plant once in a while, and the 'wet' plant most of the time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode