Basic Waters Tests - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Basic Waters Tests

I'm just starting my 20L and am wondering what I should test in my water. I don't want to break the bank buying test kits, but am curious to what I should be testing for. The tank is currently low light and I will be adding a DIY C02 system shortly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Here are the tests that are most common, and why they are used:

Ammonia: Toxic to livestock. Important to monitor while you are cycling, and a very good thing to check when something goes wrong.

Nitrite: Toxic to livestock. Important to monitor while you are cycling, and a very good thing to check when something goes wrong.

Nitrate: The end result of the nitrogen cycle in the aquariums. If this was a non-planted set up the nitrate would tell you when to do water changes. In a planted tank it tells you if you are fertilizing the plants enough. Low tech often means fish food is the N source, and plants are using it slower, so you may still have to do water changes if the NO3 gets too high.

pH: A general check on whether overall things are going OK. As long as it is stable that is fine. One way of monitoring the CO2 is to monitor the pH. When the pH is varying in a set pattern it means the CO2 equipment is running right. If the pH is low and there is ammonia present in the water then that ammonia is more likely to be in the form of ammonium, and is not so toxic. As the pH rises more of the ammonia is present as ammonia which is toxic.

GH: General Hardness is a test for calcium and magnesium. These minerals are important for fish and plants. Many fish prefer water that has a certain range of GH. I would count this as a very important test.

KH: Carbonate Hardness is a test for carbonates. Carbonates are a buffer that stabilizes the pH. When carbonates are high the pH is usually high. When carbonates are low the pH may vary more easily, and other chemicals in the water may control the pH. This can be just fine, especially for soft water fish.

TDS: Total Dissolved Solids tells you overall how much 'stuff' is in the water. Many people with heavily planted tanks or shrimp tanks rely on the TDS to tell them when to do water changes. Any salts or minerals added to the tank can make the TDS rise, and as the plants remove the fertilizers the TDS drops.

Aquarium Plant Fertilizer tests are generally not used much, but if there is any suggestion that there might be a plant deficiency it might be a good idea to get one or more of these. There are always questions about reliability.

Phosphate: Also comes from fish food, so when the nitrate tests are in the right range I assume the phosphate is, too. It sure is NOT actually linked to nitrate, just that the main source in my tanks is the same material (fish food). If I need to dose nitrate, I also dose phosphate.

Potassium: A very important plant fertilizer, but I just dose it without testing. There is not any other source in my tanks, so before the plants show potassium deficiency, I dose.

Iron: Perhaps the one test of this group that might be worth getting. Iron is one ingredient in trace mineral blends. Often trace minerals are dosed by keeping the iron in the right range.

Calcium: When testing the GH you are getting a combined reading for Ca and Mg. If there is any question about a problem with the GH, then a Ca test and a little math can tell you how much of each you have, and if you need to dose one or the other.

Salt: I have this test for my brackish water tank, and I have tested tanks that I am treating for Ich, and I test water that comes from the fish store with fish, so I can make the quarantine tank the right water chemistry. I sure do not recommend this test. You can simply ask at the store if they are running their tanks with salt and how much.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the info

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Asking or commenting on what test kits to use almost always sets off a storm. I can only first say that we each need to use what suits us.
But I also like to throw out some thinking on why I like to use each test kit. When new to testing, I find many more people will have trouble testing with liquid tests. Small thinks overlooked can really throw a new person into a panic. Things like how long to shake the bottle, how to hold the bottle while counting drops and spilling the bottle in the tank can all throw a curve.
For new testers, I recommend test strips for the routine everyday testing. We don't get super close readings on test strips but we do often get consistent readings. Of the two, I find consistent readings are more important for new folks. They don't need confusion or doubt about their readings as much as they need to see trends in the water. Also new folks are often reluctant to "invest" $25-30 in tests which they don't yet understand.
For new folks and for the everyday monitoring, I like 5-in-1 strips from Jungle. For precise answers when I might need them, I recommend liquid testing.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Algae Grower

I love it when people ask the exact question I have in mind. Thanks for the info.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode