Need help with stock mixing ferts. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need help with stock mixing ferts.

Like my thread title suggests I need some help mixing up some dry ferts into stock solution. Ive got some 500ml containers and all the dry ferts i need so im wondering what i should mix together and how much to dose, for both micros and macros. Thanks,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Go to the Barr report, Tom details exactly what you need to do. There are some online calculators as well that can help

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Most split the macros and micro's in different bottles, you basically do not want to mix the PO4 and Fe together.

The volume/concentration you want is arbitrary, user defined.

Use Wet's dosing calculator, it's the best Calculator for newbies on up to the modeling functions and exploratory stuff.

Regards,
Tom Barr

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I guess my problem now is, how do you convert grams to a measurement such as tsp. I dont have an efficient way to convert that so im still lost.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

From the sticky at the top of this page:
60~80gal
50% H20 change-weekly
3/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
3/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
1 Tsp-GH booster once a week
15ml 3/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
4-8ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

From your signature:
Quote:
75 gallon "mountain scape", 30 Gallon bow planted, 20 gallon long bare bottom discus, 10 gallon shell dweller breeding tank.
Math:
135 gallons total to be fertilized.

More math: Double all the dosings in the EI recipe:
120~160gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1.5 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
3/8 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
2 Tsp-GH booster once a week
30ml 3/8Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
8-16ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

Multiply it out so you make a 1 week supply (3 doses)

120-160gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1-1/2 Tblsp-KN03 3x a week
1-1/8 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
2 Tblsp-GH booster once a week
90ml 1-1/8 Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
24-48ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

Now add to your bottles. Macros:
1-1/2 tablespoons KNO3
1-1/8 teaspoons KH2PO4
2.1 quarts of water.
Dose @ 1 teaspoon per gallon of tank size. Mon-Wed-Fri
(10 gallon tank gets 10 teaspoons, 20 gallon tank gets 20 teaspoons, 30 gallon tank gets 30 teaspoons, 75 gallon gets 75 teaspoons)

Make a separate bottle for Micros:
1-1/8 tsp CSM+B
1/2 tsp Chelated Iron (dry)
2.1 quarts of water.
Dose @ 1 teaspoon per gallon of tank size. Tue-Thu-Sat

Optional: If the GH in your water is already OK, do not add any. You can add it as needed, once, with the water change, or dose smaller amounts through the week with the macros.

Run the tanks this way for a week or two and monitor what is going on.
Plant growth, NO3 test, fish reaction...
Make adjustments as needed.
------------------------------------------------------------
You can also make these a lot stronger, then dose less. Eye droppers are often marked in ml, so here is a way to dose the same amount of active ingredients with eye droppers:

Now add to your bottles. Macros:
1-1/2 tablespoons KNO3
1-1/8 teaspoons KH2PO4
.4 liters of water. (your 500 ml bottle = .5 liters)
Dose @ 1 ml per gallon of tank size. Mon-Wed-Fri
(10 gallon tank gets 10 ml, 20 gallon tank gets 20 ml, 30 gallon tank gets 30 ml, 75 gallon gets 75 ml)

Make a separate bottle for Micros:
1-1/8 tsp CSM+B
1/2 tsp Chelated Iron (dry)
.4 liters of water.
Dose @ 1 ml per gallon of tank size. Tue-Thu-Sat
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks diana, that helped a LOT. Im obviously not quite there yet when it comes to ferts. I'll learn someday

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Wow Diana! Thanks for doing it like that! I think it all just clicked for me! I had read the sticky but still been feeling a little lost myself.

RAOK Club #24
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
Wow Diana! Thanks for doing it like that! I think it all just clicked for me! I had read the sticky but still been feeling a little lost myself.
+1 for that.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks for the great detailed write-up Diana! Exactly what I was looking for.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It took me a while to get to that point and I sure remember how lost I felt the first time I looked through info like that.

The secret is to start by considering all your tanks as one unit. Pretend they are all one volume. (I work with about 700 gallons worth of planted tanks).
Then work out the big picture. How many doses do you want to mix up at one time? (I can mix up about 1 weeks worth)
Then make it easy: If I dose at 1 ml per gallon of tank size it is very easy to walk up to a tank and syringe in exactly the right dose ("Ah... my 15 gallon tank! Give it 15 ml!" I can do that before the coffee hits in the morning). So I add the right number of ml of water to the fertilizer blends. 3 days per week x 700ml = 2100ml, or just a hair over 2 liters. I have several 2 liter bottles, and when they are full all the way to the cap they actually hold 2.1 liters.
I have several syringes, too. A turkey baster holds a lot of fertilizer and is long enough to reach the bottom of the bottles.

Other things to play around with: If you make the mix stronger, then dose less, your bottles will last longer.
If I make things twice as strong, I can dose for 2 weeks, but I have to do the math standing in front of the tank. (Ah, my 20 gallon! Give it 10 ml! I can still do that before I wake up)

The next step:
Quote:
Run the tanks this way for a week or two and monitor what is going on.
Plant growth, NO3 test, fish reaction...
Make adjustments as needed.
What I found:
I was running tanks with low light, Excel or DIY CO2, and lots of fish.
Starting with the full EI dosing (What I have calculated above) the NO3 skyrocketed.
Turns out the fish food was already dosing about 3/4 of the Nitrogen my tanks needed.
Fish food is also high in phosphate.
So I made the following changes:
Dose a lot less KNO3 (about 1/4 of the EI recipe)
Dose a lot less KH2PO4 (about 1/4 of the EI recipe)
Dose more K2SO4 to make up the needed potassium.
Dose about half as much traces. Add a bit of iron to the traces (I dose about 2 parts CSM+B:1 part chelated iron. That is part of the variable part of the EI recipe)

My tap water has GH and KH of about 4-5 degrees, and the plants were not removing these to a great enough extent that I had to add them, so that is why I wrote it up as 'Optional'. If you are using RO or other water that is really low in calcium and magnesium or carbonates you may need to dose GH booster or a source of carbonates. The substrate in many of my tanks removes the KH, but I do not deal with that through the EI dosing. I handle that by adding baking soda, but at a different time of day.

Lately I have been changing some tanks, less fish, more light and I am back to, well, not quite 'square one', but back to 'monitor and adjust'.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just got in all my dry ferts Monday and figured I'd just dry dose until I realized how hard it is to measure such small amounts ... 1/32" of a tsp. So pre-mixing sounds a whole lot easier and more accurate!

I've only got 2 tanks I'll be dosing and will need different ferts and amounts in each bottle but your posts helps make that easier to figure out. That's the great thing about having all the different dry ferts, much easier to customize to my needs. Just the initial calculating that takes a bit of brain power. LOL

My 75g tank doesn't need KNO3 & and probably not Phosphate either but will need more Potassium & GH booster and of course micros.

My 10g tank which is sort of a grow out tank with only 3 Oto's & snails needs regular amounts of all Macros and micros but I don't want to do weekly 50% water changes on it so will adjust for that.

I've saved all my Excel & Prime bottles and have plenty of 2 liter bottles if I want to go that route. Probably start with smaller amounts until I get it dialed in. I have lots of those little dosing cups that you get when your in the hospital which work good for measuring tsp or ml ... up to 30ml. I'll just dose my ferts the way I add Excel, pour into the dose cup and dump in tank.

My hours are weird so I have one of those pocket calendars that I note what I dosed on what day since my "days" are usually 1pm - 4am and I lose track of what I did when. So easy to glance at the calendar a say "oh I need macros this time".
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Found this thread and Diana's explanation was perfect to answer my question!

Hi its Nam =D

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode