New Manzanita -> pH crash - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
New Manzanita -> pH crash

I just added 2 fairly large branches of manzanita to my 90 gallon tank yesterday. I woke up this morning to see cloudy water ... which is not a big deal to me ... I understand that new driftwood leaches. I have Purigen in one of my canister filters ... but it probably needs to be regenerated.

What alarmed me was that all (I mean ALL) my fish were rapidly opening and closing their mouths. They were not at the surface ... I checked the pH and it was low (below the color chart). I use gH booster and baking soda to buffer my water.

I dropped a bag of carbon into the tank and did a 50% WC with buffered water (as usual). The fish seem fine now.

What can I expect going forward? WC everyday until leaching slows down? Should I increase gH/kH buffering?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
What are the test results for your GH and KH
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 06:55 AM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
Crushed coral to bounce the ph back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

|
|

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
i just added 4 pieces of manzanita yesterday to my 40 gal with no change at all today strange?? sounds like a silly question but did u boil/rinse the dw

40 gallon dirt tank
5 Gallon planted bonsai dirt tank
1 Bearded Dragon ''Spyro''
Normal Leopard Gecko ''Shadow''
Super hypo tangerine baldy carrot tail leopard gecko ''Moon''
2 whites tree frogs ''Ying and Yang''
1 Royal Python ''Neptune''
1 Veiled Chameleon '' Yoshi''
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If the KH is really low to begin with (under 3 German degrees of hardness) then adding something like peat, driftwood of any sort, or other organic matter can indeed crash the pH.

I would remove the wood and soak it in several water changes, boil it if possible. You might get an idea if this really was the problem by checking the GH, KH and pH of the water you are soaking it in.

Then check the KH of the tank. If the Manzanita is continuing to reduce the KH in the soaking water, even after several water changes (like a week with twice daily water changes) then you will have to monitor the tank very carefully, adding baking soda for a quick fix, but adding the coral sand to the filter would be a better solution. Slow release of the minerals, and the coral sand dissolves faster when the pH drops, then slower as the pH rises, which is exactly what you want.
Other materials that do the same thing are limestone sand or gravel, and oyster shell grit. This is sold for caged birds like Budgies. I use a blend or one bag of each coral sand and oyster shell grit in my hard water tanks.

I have several substrates that do the same thing: Remove all the KH, that allows the pH to hit the bottom of the test. The fish are fine as long as they are acclimated, and the change takes place slowly. I think it was the sudden onset, and the removal of the minerals from the water not the actual endpoint of the pH that caused the problems. I have soft water fish in these tanks (many species- Tetras, Barbs, Loaches, Cichlids, Cats and others).
In my hard water tanks (Live bearers, Rainbows, Lake Tanganyikan fish) I do not allow that to happen. I use GH booster and baking soda, but also coral sand and oyster shell grit to keep the minerals high for these fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode