Water TDS - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
Water TDS

What can cause my water TDS to get high? I have driftwood/rock/some plants. The TDS from my tap water come at 250 ppm. They start to go up to about 450ppm

Last edited by xavinovic; 09-17-2012 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Add info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 02:02 AM
The Security Dude

PTrader: (116/100%)
Fertz anything you put in the water, rocks....

55 Planted Rummys,2 GBR,8 Corys,4 Discus PFR Culls
Many shrimp tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Finnex Pimp #8
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I would suspect the rocks that you have.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
I'm EI dry dosing micro and macro and doing 50% WC Sunday's. My questions is with the TDS how would I be able to keep RCS or AMANO ??
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 04:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
everyone puts a little much on how much the tds gets from my experiance its more about stablility 450 isnt that bad my crs breed in that tds so if crs can any neo should do fine. its all going to vary depending on the bio load, wc, hardscape, ferts, and water source. dont stress on tds just use it as a guide and what works for YOUR set up.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
TDS stands for total dissolved solids. It depends of what makes that number so high to determine if would be detrimental for them.

I guess that amanos would survive no problem tho.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you want to keep on trying to figure it out here is what I would do:

Set up several jars with the same water you use for the tank. (tap, RO, blended...whatever)
First jar: No additives
Second jar: Whatever you normally add to the water: Dechlor, minerals... anything you usually add when you are prepping the water for a water change.
Third jar: handful of whatever substrate you are using. If you have 2 materials like cap and substrate use separate jars.
Fourth jar: Samples of whatever rock you have in the tank. If you have some chips that came off the actual rock, that is OK, or test the actual rock (maybe in a bucket, if the rock is large)
Fifth jar: Start with the same water that you used in the tank (repeat jar 2) and add fertilizer as close as possible to how you dose the tank.
Sixth jar: Sample of anything else in the tank.

Test all these for GH, KH, pH and TDS every few days. Run the test out for a week, and do a 50% water change on all the jars that have shown any change.

How to interpret the results: If only one jar raises the TDS during the test, then that is the thing that is contributing. If that thing has more than one component (especially jars 2 and 5) you might want to break down those into individual tests.

Example: If jar 5 showed the TDS and GH rising, then you might look at your fertilizers. Are you adding GH booster? Any source of Ca or Mg that would do this? If you cannot figure out which fertilizer might be doing this, then set up one jar for each fertilizer and run those separately.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode