Ferts and shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ferts and shrimp

Tank stats:

33g long, Coralife T5HO light w/10k and Actinic bulbs (we're considering raising it above the tank to alleviate having "too much" light), Fluval 206 canister, Eco-Complete substrate

Temp ~76

Will be getting pressurized CO2 (equipment has been ordered, waiting for it to arrive) - have the drop checker in the tank, shows blue atm

Water changes once a week ~20-30%

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates ~5-10 (we try to keep rates in this range to not stress the shrimp)
pH ~7.6 (I know this is considered "too high" for crystal shrimp, but they were acclimated slowly and are actively eating and molting so we have chosen to leave it rather than try to fuss with it and cause other problems)
GH 5-6
KH 5-6

Dosing Flourish (micros) every other day

Iodide once a week (one drop per 10g for the shrimp)

Plants:

Green Cabomba, Brazilian Milfoil, Dwarf Baby's Tears, Frogbit, Duckweed, Java Fern (in a shaded area), Java Moss, Christmas Moss, Bacopa monnier, and Marimo moss balls x3

Livestock:

Mickey Mouse Play ~10
Long Fin Zebra Danio 5
Ghost Shrimp 4
Crystal Red Shrimp 5
Crystal Black Shrimp 5

My question is, should I be dosing Macros?

I'm afraid to dose nitrogen in case it hurts the shrimp. (Eco-Complete is new, so I assume the plants are getting necessary ferts from the substrate atm, but i also assume these will get used up fairly quickly).

So far all the plants seem to be doing fairly well except the Frogbit is getting brown spots on it and it looks like the leaves are rotting. I've been picking off the browned leaves. It is still getting new growth, some of which is green and some are a bit yellowed.

The Platy's keep digging up and chewing the leaves off the Dwarf Baby's Tears so they may be a lost cause. Other than that they are still green, however the roots haven't been given a chance to take hold due to the Platys.

What ferts can/should I be dosing that will not kill the shrimp? Do I need to increase/decrease my dosing of micros?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Eco-Complete contains no nutrients for plants. It can only hold what you, yourself, add to your tank via root tabs or fert dosing.

When it comes to Crystal shrimp, plenty of people have been able to dose with little to no issue. Just do it slowly and acclimate over time. (Or, better yet, use root tabs and no CO2. Looks like most of your plants will be okay with just root ferts. That's how most people with Crystals will tell you to go. But it wouldn't be great with Dwarf Baby Tears/HC.)

Your KH is quite high, as well. Should be shooting for the 0-1 range with those shrimp, ideally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Eco-Complete contains no nutrients for plants. It can only hold what you, yourself, add to your tank via root tabs or fert dosing.

When it comes to Crystal shrimp, plenty of people have been able to dose with little to no issue. Just do it slowly and acclimate over time. (Or, better yet, use root tabs and no CO2. Looks like most of your plants will be okay with just root ferts. That's how most people with Crystals will tell you to go. But it wouldn't be great with Dwarf Baby Tears/HC.)

Your KH is quite high, as well. Should be shooting for the 0-1 range with those shrimp, ideally.
Thank you for the reply! I'm a bit confused though, if Eco-Complete doesn't come with nutrients in it then why do they say it does?

"Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate is the complete planted aquarium substrate. Mineralogically complete. Contains iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sulfur, plus 25 other elements to nourish your aquatic plants. Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium substrate contains all the mineral nutrients needed for luxuriant plant growth." http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9087

So that's a lie? There are NO nutrients in Eco-Complete I have to ADD them?

Not trying to be contrary I'm just confused and a bit annoyed that I wasted money on it if it is basically just rocks.

How would I lower the KH without affecting the GH?

I've read a lot about the "ideal" conditions for the crystals (as well as for fish, plants etc.), however, I haven't found much/any scientific research/facts as to WHY these conditions are ideal. Why do crystals need a KH of 0? How does this benefit them from a scientific point of view?

It's helpful for me to understand the science behind the claims of "ideal" conditions so I can be better informed and fully understand the processes that are happening.

Thank you!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Planted Member

Eco complete has trace elements that plants use in it. It does not have any macros in it ( N, PO4, K)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode