High pH due to filter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
High pH due to filter

Ok, so I bought a 10g kit for a betta. I received it a couple of days ago, and am planning on fishless cycling it. Straight out of the tap, I get a pH reading of 7.4. A day after I set up the 10g (I just let it run over night) I checked the pH and it was extremely high, at roughly 8.2. So to figure out what was making my pH fluctuate so much, I removed everything from the tank and put it all in separate cups, all with water straight from the tap. (heater, filter, filter cartridge, the black spongey filter cartridge thing, and finally left the tank sitting with only water in it) I waited a day, and checked the pH again. All of the cups of material came out to a pH of 7.6 except the bare filter that I left running in a bucket, which came out to a pH of 8.2.

So is there any reason why my filter is raising my pH so much? It is a tetra whisper 10i
And any way to stop it so it stays stable?

I would prefer to not use any chemicals or buffers....but if they are my only option I guess I don't have another choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Your water probably has a bit of CO2 in it when it comes from the tap, and that's why it's lower at first. Sitting in a cup, the water isn't being agitated, so it's not going to get a lot of surface exchange with the air around and release some CO2 and gain some O2. The filter is disturbing the water surface and therefore is going to force CO2 to off-gas and therefore, the pH will rise.

Another test is to take a cup and put an airstone in it, I bet it will raise the pH as well.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well I think you are right.
i stuck an airstone in a cup and after only a couple hours it raised from 7.4 to 8.2 again.

Should I be worried about a pH of ~8.2? Like, should I use any buffers?
or should I just let it be?

Last edited by thebuddha; 09-05-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: because

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just let it be, but when you are getting ready for a water change get the water ready the night before, and run that air stone in it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Just let it be, but when you are getting ready for a water change get the water ready the night before, and run that air stone in it.
Yes, since it seems like I will just have to deal with this high pH, I was worried about the difference during water changes. Now, I just need to get a bigger bucket lol
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 05:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You could add CO2 to the tank, the plants will grow better, and the new water will match the tank water closer. Probably close enough to do water changes without having to set up the water the night before.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Depending on what fish and plants you might like, you may also be surprised to find the PH is not a problem. Often the PH seems to be overworked as an item to get right. I'm keeping African cichlids who are famous for needing high PH. I also am keeping South and Central American cichlids who like lower PH water. None of them seems to care in my tanks. I'm finding PH to be something to look at but not bother to change.

My PH starts at about 8.2, drifts to 7.8 normally and when I use CO2, I press it on down to 6.6 range without seeing any signs of fish distress. I read a lot of information for guidance but let the fish tell me the true story.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode