Fertz dosing without weekly water change? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fertz dosing without weekly water change?

Hi folks,

Is there such a thing as doing some sort of EI type dosing, or any other methodology without having to do weekly water changes? Ie. more like a maintainence plan per se.

I was thinking of using Seachem N, K and P bottles, but would rather mix my own solution from dry fertz and have it administered into the tank without the water change hassle.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Just dial things back and use less light, EI is flexible. I change the water once a month here:

Note, I did not write the EI article here.
I make it clear that it is merely an example and a good one for maintaining proper care.........ADA also suggest a similar water change frequently independent of EI and most folks that have nicer tanks tend to take frequent care of them and keep them clean.

That said, there are examples where folks try to avoid them with bad results, as well as good results.

Non CO2 methods are simply put; the ultimate in low work and virtually no water changes, the trade off is fewer plants species can be kept together and slow growth.

If you use the low light + CO2, + sediment based ferts, then you can extend water changes to 1 month at say 50%.

I dose about 1/2 EI to this tank.

You can simply dose less a little bit each week till you note a negative response, then return the last prior dosing. The plants should tell you what that rate is fairly well specific to your aquarium.

If you are neglectful or hate water changes, go for the emergent growth or non CO2 methods.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wow! Fabulous tank set up Tom!!

So you dose 1/2 the otherwise normal EI dose per day?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 05:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You would need to figure out what works for your situation.
For Tom, those levels of dosing work with the way he has that tank set up.

For me, I also altered the ratios among the Macros. That is what worked for me.

There is not any one way that is right. EI is one way that works, and is a good starting point. I started with those dosing rates, and quickly dialed it down.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 06:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'm using medium lights with at least 1/3 of the surface covered with floaters. Very little co2 24/7 and 1/6 PPSpro daily dosing.

I measure TDS to know when to do a water change. 200 TDS is when I'm supposed to do a water change.

I have not performed a water change since I set up the tank six months ago. I had to change like 10% twice because of filter maintenance (needed tank water to rinse media) and when I dosed "no planaria".

It's not a spectacular tank, but it's a very healthy planted shrimp tank. I have CRS, CBS, OEBTs and blue velvets.

See more details here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=183530

As stated above in previous post is all about dialing it up be watching the tank. There is some measuring to get it close but it's mainly looking at the plant/algae growth. And all dictated by light.

For some reason, I find more difficult to do it in my low light non co2 tank. It seems that the metabolism is too slow to keep up with the build up of TDS. I just need a bit more practice and the tank is also 5-6 times smaller.

I have to change 1 gallon of water every week or two or TDS go up into the sky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
There is not any one way that is right. EI is one way that works, and is a good starting point. I started with those dosing rates, and quickly dialed it down.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The unique thing about EI dosing, using the tables for standard dosages, is that you will not be short on any nutrient, and you won't get damaging overdoses if you also do the 50% weekly water changes. That lets you concentrate on other things, not on nutrient deficiencies, such as getting the CO2 system set up so it works for you. I don't think there is another way to dose that offers that particular benefit. And, when EI was started, as a unique dosing method, that particular benefit was of high value. For some of us it still is, for others it isn't.

Hoppy
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah. I think every new hobbyist should start with EI and 50% WC to be able to figure light/co2.

It's a sure shot!

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Double post

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Any dosing method can use water changes and dose more to accommodate and in fact, every method does do this. This is not specific to EI, but I promoted it as a method for management, which bothered many since I showed you never needed to test the water etc via math and serial dilution.

If you look pejerrey's tank, that would take about 5 minutes to change 50% of the water, and the plants would get a nice trim and good frequent care.

No dosing method will make up for good frequent care.
ADA suggest the same type of thing, but the bulk of the nutrients are in the sediment.

I suggest both locations for dosing personally, ADA aqua soil + good water column dosing. This way if you forget, go on vacation etc......you have a back up and the soil last longer with out running out of steam.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 12:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
Yeah. I think every new hobbyist should start with EI and 50% WC to be able to figure light/co2.

It's a sure shot!

A lot of us started easy and just trying to get by until it hits us that we should using EI dosing and reliable CO2 system. Personally, I like water change. I even do 2 40% WC per week. I just worry about the organic content being built up in the tank since I don't use any chemical filtration.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
If you look pejerrey's tank, that would take about 5 minutes to change 50% of the water, and the plants would get a nice trim and good frequent care.
But shrimpers flip about large water changes! (joke)

I could be doing water changes. I just love to be polemic and controversial I guess. Lol!

The truth is that I have to haul DI water from whole foods because my roommate is a ----- about me using common resources (utilities) for my hobby. So, 15 gallons of water are heavy to carry to a second floor every week. There was no quorum to install an RO system. He needs to know he's not paying for anything related to my tanks. And opposes my multiple tank set up.... I have to keep them all with a kw meter so he can see the cost.

But hey... He can leave the lights on all night and day.... and wash dishes with the water running full throttle the whole time. Ok, I'm venting... Sorry.

Oh, and about the plants... I have a lot of hardware and a massive sponge on the left (7x5x5) to hide, for example... Do you see my spray bar?

Hehe, just wanted to explain why I do it that way folks.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
you have a back up and the soil last longer with out running out of steam
I got this benefit by using a high CEC substrate and EI dosing. At least some of the fertilizer was getting sequestered in the substrate.
When I could not dose for a while the plants kept on doing just fine.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
But shrimpers flip about large water changes! (joke)

I could be doing water changes. I just love to be polemic and controversial I guess. Lol!
Many go down this path for awhile..........only to return to the true tried basics.

Shrimp are fine if you do the 1x a month water changes.
I do not think NOT doing water changes is some sign you are good aquarist, good at dosing rather, the opposite.

Quote:
The truth is that I have to haul DI water from whole foods because my roommate is a ----- about me using common resources (utilities) for my hobby. So, 15 gallons of water are heavy to carry to a second floor every week. There was no quorum to install an RO system. He needs to know he's not paying for anything related to my tanks. And opposes my multiple tank set up.... I have to keep them all with a kw meter so he can see the cost.
Get a place that allows you not to have issues with the hobby, that's a much better solution.

And not just with the hobby, the guy sounds like an idiot.
So life will be better on many different fronts.

Quote:
But hey... He can leave the lights on all night and day.... and wash dishes with the water running full throttle the whole time. Ok, I'm venting... Sorry.

Oh, and about the plants... I have a lot of hardware and a massive sponge on the left (7x5x5) to hide, for example... Do you see my spray bar?

Hehe, just wanted to explain why I do it that way folks.
Cause your roommate tells you to to do it eh?
hehe

I'm messing with ya.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

Ahhhh, c'mon Tom... Tank looks good to me, I don't have to be dealing with bs from my house mate (who owns the house) and I have a huge house with a huge backyard for 1300, he lives in the in law unit. Yes... Not very bright man...

The bottom line Tom is that the shrimps are fine and breeding, the plants are healthy, I have a tiny bit of BBA in the spray bar and a lil bit of moss has browned, but that is all.

It's a shrimp tank! it looks way better than most of the shrimp tanks I see here in TPT! Lol!

I change water weekly in my other 2 smaller tanks if that makes you happy...

I think you don't like me because I use PPSpro instead of EI, right?

Hehehe, joke.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode