Water Circulation - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water Circulation

Hey all,
I have a whisper 20 on the back of my 20 gal tall. I have another whisper that's twice this size and I want to know if that would be overkill for my tank. (Well, I know it's overkill, but do you think it would be too much?) Noob question, I know but I seem to be having a difficult time finding information on water flow and got tired of searching for it.

Hope that's enough info...

Jaz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

are you seeing any problems with water quality with your current set-up? that would be my first question: not if a larger filter would be overkill but why do you need to up the water circulation. if you search for that problem, you might find a solution other than water circulation...
just a thought

He who dares to teach must never cease to learn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

30 gallon tall, pressurized CO2...killer lights
50 gallon long, killer filtration, low tech otherwise
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

people might want water cirulation for various reasons.
My loaches love it and with the way I have my tank set up it helps keep it cleaner.
IE--HOB filter mounted on the side that has the intake tube go to the other side of the tank. This creates a unidirectional flow which the loaches like and it also pushes the stuff on the sand to the other end. I have a sponge on the end of the intake to keep the larger junk out of the tubing.
This is a mellow version of the river tank design that was developed by a fellow loach keeper and can be seen at loaches online. His design has a very strong flow for river loaches.
Although the current doesn't help with growing plants in a speedy fastion my tank is low light anyway and is in no hurry to grow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode