Deionized vs. Reverse Osmosis - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
Deionized vs. Reverse Osmosis

I have access to unlimited deionized water for free. If I want to breed caridinas, would this be adequate or would it be worth it to go buy RO water from some store? My tap comes from two sources, I tested today's and it was ~240ppm. I haven't tested the DI water, as the tap's at work and I just got my TDS meter today, but if anyone can give me a gen. idea, that'd be great.

I just had a CBS death, presumably b/c of high TDS (550 ppm) or co2 or something in the temporary tank. The neos in the tank are doing just fine though.

RAOK club #37

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your tap water is already fairly soft (well, low TDS) so if DI tests out too pure maybe a blend.

I would test it. Deionized water is not the same as RO or Distilled, there may still be some things in it. Run all the aquarium tests you have.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hm. Thanks for the input. Should I remineralize the DI/tap blend? I don't have a kH kit yet.

RAOK club #37

|
|
|

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I use deionized water. Has zero TDS, nothing but water.

I use it pure for top offs.... and in the rare event of a water change I would remineralize with seachem equilibrium or mosura mineral plus.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

awesome, i'm so glad to hear this is equal to/better than RO. I think i've seen you post it around here somewhere, but what tds do you have/aim for? I know most aim for 180-100, but it's always good to have input. Thanks!

RAOK club #37

|
|
|
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

200 max, I keep it 180ish.

Using DI water allows me to avoid doing water changes as I have more control of what is in it. It's a blank canvas.

See my WC-less method in detail here:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=183530

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Deionized water has the cations and anions (the charged particles) removed, but the other things in the water that are not charged are not removed.

Distilled water is water that has been evaporated in one container, the vapor lead to another container and allowed to re-condense. This process removes almost everything in the water, leaving a residue in the original container.

Most TDS meters are measuring the charged particles in the water, and then equating the results to salt. If there was sodium chloride only dissolved in pure water it would separate into charged particles (Cl- and Na+), and result in a certain reading from the TDS meter. Since the TDS meter does not read non-charged particles there may actually still be 'stuff' in deionized water. It just does not show.

Both distilled and reverse osmosis systems do remove more stuff, both ionized and not ionized things. These are usually closer to pure water, though the quality of the equipment plays a big part in this.

Many of the chemicals in tap water are charged particles, so you are getting a purer product than comes out of the tap (or well, or river...) with any of these procedures.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 03:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Deionized water has the cations and anions (the charged particles) removed, but the other things in the water that are not charged are not removed.

Distilled water is water that has been evaporated in one container, the vapor lead to another container and allowed to re-condense. This process removes almost everything in the water, leaving a residue in the original container.

Most TDS meters are measuring the charged particles in the water, and then equating the results to salt. If there was sodium chloride only dissolved in pure water it would separate into charged particles (Cl- and Na+), and result in a certain reading from the TDS meter. Since the TDS meter does not read non-charged particles there may actually still be 'stuff' in deionized water. It just does not show.

Both distilled and reverse osmosis systems do remove more stuff, both ionized and not ionized things. These are usually closer to pure water, though the quality of the equipment plays a big part in this.

Many of the chemicals in tap water are charged particles, so you are getting a purer product than comes out of the tap (or well, or river...) with any of these procedures.
GeeeZ! Now I feel extra dumb! Lol! Got to but RO then?
They sell it as "pure" water in whole foods, only water, as if RO has more stuff. Do you think that this is the case? Is it possible to measure somehow?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That makes sense (deionized= no ions...) And looking at the anode and cathodes on the TDS probe everything finally just clicked in my mind. Durr. Well, that's very neat. I can't wait to go back to work (for once) and grab a sample to test (and a carboy full, lol). Either way, I figure it's better than tap. Thanks!

RAOK club #37

|
|
|
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 05:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

So, what is the point of DI water?

can we deionize sewer water until it measures 0 TDS but will have all the waste still?

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 08:10 AM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
What about puttin them together into RODI?

|

|
|

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
can we deionize sewer water until it measures 0 TDS but will have all the waste still?
yup. Waste is not generally ionized particles.

I think people use DI as an abbreviation for DIstilled. It really is an abbreviation for DeIonized.

If the tap water is good to begin with, such a tap water entering the lab or wherever aweeby has access to DI water, then that pretty good water is run through the DI process the water probably is pretty pure.
Most tap water is low in things that can pass through the DI process (organics, mostly), and the DI process removes most of what is left. But only the charged materials.

Probably the best way to test without getting out the lab quality test kit is to test the incoming water (Tap water before the DI equipment) and compare it to the DI water.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Alright, I want to whole foods and the machine says "similar to distiller water" their RO is 5 TDS and DI is 0 TDS.
I called the wayer company and as its a holiday I have to call tomorrow to find out more details.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Algae Grower

If I wanted to change my already cycled water to RO water.. How would I go about doing it.. What are some things i should consider.. Is RO water same as purified drinking water drinking water..
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EROD714 View Post
If I wanted to change my already cycled water to RO water.. How would I go about doing it.. What are some things i should consider.. Is RO water same as purified drinking water drinking water..
Is your tank what is cycled, not your water.
You would change water as you do but may have to remineralize it to reach your needed GH.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode