Kh concentrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Kh concentrate

Can anyone help me with figuring out how much calcium carbonate to add to 1 gallon of water. So that when I dose 5 ml it will increase 10 gallons of water by 17ppm kh. I am not that good with these kind of numbers. I tried the fertilizer calculator but they would not work for this.

Thanks Todd Ziegler
Always question those who claim to have the truth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lets see...
"Two teaspoons (about 4 grams) of calcium carbonate per 189.3 Litres (50 US G.) of water will increase both General Hardness (GH) and Carbonate Hardness (KH) by approximately 1 degree" (Wiki)

So for 10 gallons, this would be 1/5 of 2 teaspoons, or a scant half teaspoon.

You want to make a stock solution so that 5 ml will have 1/2 tsp of CaCO3? I do not think you can make it that strong. Try, and start with RO or DI, and you might get more of it to dissolve if you add something acidic to it. Maybe use peat tea. I think you will have to adjust your dosing.

Another option:
If you want to dose 1/2 teaspoon of dry CaCO3 in a 10 gallon tank, put that much in a cup or two of water (RO or DI, or peat moss tea) and shake it like crazy until it is dissolved. It does not dissolve easily.

Another option:
Find another source of carbonates that does dissolve fairly easily. For example:
1 teaspoon of baking soda added to a 29 gallon tank will raise the KH by about 2 German degrees of hardness, or 36 ppm.
so... 1/2 tsp in 29 gallons = 1 degree
so... 1/6 tsp in 10 gallons = 1 degree

Try adding 1/8 tsp and let that work overnight. It dissolves fast, but let it get well circulated before you test. I would add that much directly to the 29 gallon tank, dry, right into the flow from the filter.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode