Urgent: White particles in tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cprash
Urgent: White particles in tank

I made a change today and removed nitrogen and phosphorus pads from my filter as well as a 15% WC. Though the tank has been up for 11 months, I had a mass die off last week and the tank lost its cycle. The ammonia spiked on monday and the water is testing at 0/0/negligible for ammonia, nitrates and nitrite.

Within the last two hours I've noted a fine white dust inside my tank and the only remaining fish, a lampeyed killie died very suddenly, struggling to get its head above water.

I'm at wit's end here. This tank had been running well, with virtually no fatalities until last week. Could it be my tap water? Here is a picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lksesmdvanpgnbu/DSCF1455.JPG

-Calvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I don't think its the tap water. I'm using the same water as are a few others.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, I've used the same water, conditioned with stress coat and zyme since I've had this tank.

-Calvin

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
...fine white dust...
This could have come from a few sources.
1) Chemical reaction among some things in the tank. One example: Phosphate fertilizers should not be dosed with Iron fertilizers. They make a white precipitate.
2) Something added to the tank. Two ideas: Seachem Equilibrium is hard to dissolve, and I sometimes get tired of making it dissolve before adding, so I just dump it (dry) into the filter. Then some bits end up in the tank, eventually dissolving. Other idea: Kids dump things in tanks.
3) Something used in the house that accidentally ends up in the tank. Having any home repairs done? Sheetrock dust and other things can find their way into the water.

I am not sure if the past week's history shows anything that it could be.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's this:

1) Chemical reaction among some things in the tank. One example: Phosphate fertilizers should not be dosed with Iron fertilizers. They make a white precipitate.

I just dosed both Phosphorous and Iron, along with trace, nitrogen and potassium. I had never had a reaction before, probably thanks to the pad that leeched Phosphate out of the water.

I'm not sure why it killed the fish though, but at least now I know what this thing is.

Thank you very, very much. I am grateful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
This could have come from a few sources.
2) Something added to the tank. Two ideas: Seachem Equilibrium is hard to dissolve, and I sometimes get tired of making it dissolve before adding, so I just dump it (dry) into the filter. Then some bits end up in the tank, eventually dissolving. Other idea: Kids dump things in tanks.
3) Something used in the house that accidentally ends up in the tank. Having any home repairs done? Sheetrock dust and other things can find their way into the water.

I am not sure if the past week's history shows anything that it could be.

-Calvin
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I had my sons tank recycle for no apparent reason about 3 weeks ago. The only thing I could think of to cause this was the API Quik Start that I started useing when I did WCs. The guy at the lfs said that he has seen tanks die then recycle using similar products. He thinks that if you add to much you starve the BB and have a die off of the BB basically recycling the tank. Wick at tht time we add more to help the tank a n cause the tank to recycle again and stress out the fish

I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrguy View Post
I had my sons tank recycle for no apparent reason about 3 weeks ago. The only thing I could think of to cause this was the API Quik Start that I started useing when I did WCs. The guy at the lfs said that he has seen tanks die then recycle using similar products. He thinks that if you add to much you starve the BB and have a die off of the BB basically recycling the tank. Wick at tht time we add more to help the tank a n cause the tank to recycle again and stress out the fish
I'm starting to learn that the less you do with a cycling tank, the better. :/

-Calvin
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 05:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
That is true. Set it up the best you can, then just check to be sure it stays that way.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode