Help me learn to dose my tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Help me learn to dose my tank!

Hello,
So I have had a planted aquarium for about 1.5 years but have never had it really flourish. I really think that I could do better, but everything I try doesn't seem to work that well. I have pretty common plants for the most part, all of them came from the LFS except my duckweed and my java moss, I bought those on eBay about a month ago. The main thing I want help with is learning how to properly dose both of my tanks, I think that if I can figure out the correct way to do this I'll be able to grow my plants how I have hoped to be able to.

I have a 75 gallon aquarium with Activ-flora substrate. I am using so sorta odyssea canister filter, but I am only using mechanical filtration there is no chemical media being used in my filtration, I've read that some chemical media, like carbon, can remove trace elements from the water that plants need. For lighting on this aquarium, I have a custom built T5 ballast which holds four HO 58 watt bulbs, I have two 10,000k bulbs I'm not sure of the brand of these bulbs, and two Zoo Med Flora Sun 5,000k bulbs. I also have a small powerhead in the aquarium for circulation, it is either a Penguin 550 or 660 cannot remember, I used to use a korilia 4 but I thought this was too much flow because my fish would all hug the bottom and never swam around much until I swapped to the smaller pump. This tank does have a fair amount of fish in it, not sure if that could be why my plants are not doing as good as they should. Currently this tank houses 2 angelfish, 7 neon tetras, 6 roseline sharks, 2 cory, 3 glofish, and 1 snail. These fish are all still really small, the biggest being about 2-3 inches.

My second tank is a 10 gallon planted aquarium, it also has Activ-Flora substrate. I am using a HUGE cfl bulb for this aquarium, I believe it is rated at 42 watts, I'm not sure of the exact color but if I had to guess I would say 5,500-6000k it has the red/yellow hue but not as pink as a 5,000k. This is my grow out tank so there's no filtration on this tank, just a penguin 550 with the elbow on it to help break the flow, without the elbow the current seems too strong. I also have a few critters in here, like four snails and a crayfish. This tank also has a custom made Mylar back ground that surround 3/4 of the tank and directs light down onto the plants.

I do use plant supplements in my tank, currently I use:
Flourish Excel -- it contains organic carbon used instead of co2

API, Leaf Zone -- it contains soluble potash k2o 3.00%, iron fe 0.10% it also says 0.10% chelated iron derived from potassium sulfate and iron EDTA

Plant GRO -- it contains nitrogen 0.15%, boron 0.0005%, copper 0.0005%, iron 0.26%, maganese 0.05%, molybdenum 0.0007%, and zinc 0.003%

Kent Marine, Iron & Manganese -- it contains soluble potash 3%, iron 0.24%, manganese 0.01%, molybdenum 0.000005%, zinc 0.00014%

I try and stick with the dose amount on the label but I have noticed in the past when I used as much of the flourish excel as suggested on the bottle and was using it everyday ( 3ml in a 30 gallon ) my water would turn a foggy white. So I stopped using as much excel but still dosed every day and it had the same effect now I only use the excel about twice a week. I also use one of the Iron supplements a week, I vary it weekly, so one week I'll use the API then the next I'll use the Plant GRO then the next week the Kent's. I always add the supplements after a water change, for the most part I am using 5ml per 10 gallons weekly, so that would be about 35-40ml of supplements weekly.

A lot of what I see in my aquarium is some of the plants leaves will start to go clear and then die off, I try and remove as much of these leaves as possible. I have noticed much more of this happening since I moved my plants into my 75 gallon. I am willing to change all my supplements if needed, I just want my plants to grow! So if anyone has any suggestions on what I could do please let me know! Also if anyone knows a good line of supplements that are easy to use let me know, I would like to get a full line of supplements and have them all the same brand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00615.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	53210  

Name:	DSC00618.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	53211  

Name:	DSC00616.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	53212  

Name:	DSC00623.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	53213  

Name:	DSC00624.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	53214  

Name:	DSC00625.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	53215  

Name:	DSC00626.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	53216  

Name:	DSC00628.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	53217  

Name:	DSC00630.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	53218  

Name:	DSC00633.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	53219  

Last edited by aquarist; 08-30-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Added photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Since you are running a lot of light over the tanks they will need a complete fertilizing system including nitrogen and phosphorus as well as the potassium and micro nutrients contained in the bottles you have been using. The amount of nitrogen isn't enough in that one bottle.

Please read through the sticky at the top of the Fertilizer forum for how tos and what to buy.

The last major nutrient your plants need since you are running the tanks so bright is carbon. Unless you can offer CO2 it is unlikely your plants' conditons will improve much. If you lower the level of lighting then it may work out using one of the liquid carbon sources like Seachem Excel.

I really like this post by Diana. Maybe it will help you understand all this. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...30&postcount=8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for your quick response, I read the stick and the link you gave me, I am going to be ordering a new set of supplements from greenleafaquarium.com.

Does anyone know a cheap way to hook up co2 for an aquarium? Maybe something I can use with a paintball canister. I've used yeast in the past but my culture kept dying, even when I wrapped the bottle in a heating pad. Also I noticed I would sometimes get PH swings when using the yeast.

I can cut back on the light if needed, but I really want a green "lawn" of dwarf hairgass in there and I've heard you need high light for it. Any tips on how to make my "lawn" dreams a relality would be awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Anyone else have any input?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish
You're definitely going to need pressurized CO2 to achieve your lawn dreams. OR, you can grow the dhg emersed in another container and grow the lawn the "dry start" method. That's what I'm currently doing.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (52/100%)
I just got the atomic v2 paintball regulator from greenleafaquarium and it is amazing!! My plants are already growing faster and are brighter in only 3 days!! It is a very great quality piece! My DHG is sending out runners like crazy!
See the green:

And here is the setup

Last edited by crice8; 08-31-2012 at 02:56 AM. Reason: added info
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Has anyone tried the PBco2 system from nilocg(a member on here)? I was checking out some of their stuff and it's in my price range, so if anyone has tried it let me know what you think of it.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
Has anyone tried the PBco2 system from nilocg(a member on here)? I was checking out some of their stuff and it's in my price range, so if anyone has tried it let me know what you think of it.

Those are not actual "regulators" and also do not have a solenoid... You should read around as I did across this forum and others to learn how to do co2 properly rather than spending money on something not safe or reliable that you could have put that money towards a great quality product.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah I realized that after I read this great post on here about co2 systems. I'm going to just save my money and try and get a good one.

So my plans are to order some new dry style supplements from greenleafaquariuns.com. I am also planning to take out two of the bulbs I have in my lamp until I can get the co2 system. I will probably leave one 10,000k and one of the 5,000k bulbs.

If anyone in the raleigh NC area has a used system up for sale let me know.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Okay so I was gifted a slightly use pbCo2 setup I'm going to set that up and get it going soon. Also going to save up some cash to get a decent dual stage regulator later down the road.

I will also be gettin a new set of dry fertilizers. So wish me luck with learning how to do the new dosing. I'm going to try an employ the EI method of dosing my tank.

I'm going to make a new thread about my 75 gallon planted so I can get some good before co2 shots and then post new pictures weekly so I can show my progress.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice so far!!!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So I just received my dry fertilizers and was wondering if it's okay if I premixed some of the powders? I will be dosing three tanks and want to be able to measure out everything on one day, so each day I can just mix the pre-measured fertilizer packs into a cup of tank water and add it to the tank, I read that it's okay to add the fertilizers directly to the tank like this, if it's not please let me know, I don't want to kill any plant or fish.

What I want to do is get one of those weekly pill containers older people use and fill the corresponding day with the dry fertilizers, so each day I can just open the lid and shake the power out into the cup, I may even wrap the fertilizers in a little bit of plastic wrap so I can ensure there is no residue left in the container. If it's okay to mix the powders together let me know please.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
You can mix any without fear of really bad stuff happening but if you mix the trace nutrient powder and the phosphate it can produce an insoluble iron phosphate salt. Since my screw together pill minder is pretty much filled to capacity I put some nitrate with the phosphate and the rest of the nitrate with the traces then dump them on alternating days.

The usual pill minder with the lids usually isn't very easy to dump as stuff leaks from the other compartments. I could deal with a 7 day minder but the big one with several rows was definitely not a success. Some TPTers have found great alternates. One that I can remember off hand was a sheet of tiny paint pots found at craft stores. These are 1/6 ounce which ought to be 1 measuring teaspoon if that works for your tanks might look into it.http://www.michaels.com/paintingacce...ingaccessories

River Bank

MOP* Nano

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode