New to fertilizers & need some help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to fertilizers & need some help

I have a semi-high tech 3 gallon tank that I set up recently. It has medium/high light, DIY CO2, and dirt substrate topped with gravel and sand. I've been reading about fertilizers, and I think I'd like to start using them on this tank.

I've never used fertilizers on a tank before, since my previous tanks have all been low tech, so I'm a bit confused. I'd like a nice, cheap, simple to use fertilizer that I can buy locally (at Petsmart/Petco). I want to start slow, so I'd prefer to get just one that has most of the extra nutrients a moderately planted tank will need. I know I'll probably eventually need to dose macros seperately, but if such a thing exists, I'd like to initially get a fertilizer that has both micros and macros.

So, I have a few questions...
1. Does anyone have any suggestions for fertilizers? I've heard good things about Flourish. Is it a good fertilizer?

2. Would you recommend liquid fertilizers or dry fertilizers to start?

Thank you!

3g Picotope, 2.5g NPT, 20g betta community NPT.
.`.`..`.><(((>o ̡͌ı̴̴̡̡̡ l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡
Opalo, Mr. Gold, & Granite the male bettas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi MameJenny,

It would be difficult to accurately dose dry ferts for such a small volume of water, and the amount you would have to buy would probably last your for years.

I would recommended Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and Flourish Excel; a medium sized bottle will probably last you for months!

45 Gallon with DIY CO2 and Flourish Comprehensive and Excel

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I can't seem to find Flourish Comprehensive on the Seachem website. Is it the same thing as regular Flourish?

Also, does Excel really do extra good in a small tank that's already getting CO2? I don't want to accidentally gas my tank's inhabitants.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
For such a small tank you might as well use liquid fertilizers. One of our sponsors sells one line, called Pfertz, https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fo...play.php?f=110

Hoppy
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I wasn't able to find Flourish locally, so I bought some Nutrafin Plant Gro instead. It says that it treats 250 gallons, so it should last a while. Thanks for your help!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
What about npk? You need that stuff. Have you looked into pferts it's a bit expensive but on a small tank a little bit would last you a long time. I know you would like to buy locally but getting it online is much cheaper and you only have to do it every year or two or longer depending on how m
Many/size of tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode