API root tabs///UPDATED! NitrITES problem?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
API root tabs///UPDATED! NitrITES problem??

I just planted some java moss and guppy grass in my 30 gal tank yesterday, I added some API root tabs for supplement and within an hour or do my water started turning yellow/green/brown, I don't mind it but I just wanted to see if this has happened with anyone else? I figured this was normal because iron is an ingredient in the tabs and iron discolors everything. My main concern is if my fish will be ok with this, I have 5 white cloud minnows in the tank, I figured they survived a severe case of ich they could survive this, my water parameters are decent

Gh 60
Kh 40
Ph 7-7.5
Nitrites 1
Nitrates 0
Water temp is a constant 78 degrees F
Any help?

Last edited by Nreyes112; 08-28-2012 at 02:23 AM. Reason: New question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
i use them in a holding tank. no discoloration.

did you add any driftwood? that usually does it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandacory View Post
i use them in a holding tank. no discoloration.

did you add any driftwood? that usually does it.
No driftwood, just the plants

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
If your nitrites really are 1 ppm and not zero, you might want to look into that as they should not be present in a cycled tank.

I've had the tinted water when I tossed Flourish roots tabs or peat into my filter. It might be something similar if API's tabs are made of similar stuff.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibikaie View Post
If your nitrites really are 1 ppm and not zero, you might want to look into that as they should not be present in a cycled tank.

I've had the tinted water when I tossed Flourish roots tabs or peat into my filter. It might be something similar if API's tabs are made of similar stuff.
Thanks! That makes me feel better knowing it does happen occasionally, but yes I'm currently doing a fish less cycle for the next 3 days + to correct the nitrites problem and to hopefully clear out the water naturally, I know if I agitate the gravel by doing a water change everything will be released into the water making it worse
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Hehe, believe me, pretty much no matter what you do, someone else has done exactly the same thing, somewhere! You are not alone. I have done all kinds of weird stuff to my tanks. I think the color is from the tannins in the peat, but not completely sure.

I would suggest doing water changes until the nitrites are gone. White clouds are hardy, but it will stress them and if they had ich recently, then they do not need more stress. Salt can alleviate nitrite poisoning, but most plants hate salt. If you are worried about disturbing the substrate, then you can do the water change without doing a thorough gravel vacuuming. Just hold the siphon end above the gravel. Oh, and cut back on food if you haven't already. Eventually your plants will pick up the load, but be careful until they do.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibikaie View Post
Hehe, believe me, pretty much no matter what you do, someone else has done exactly the same thing, somewhere! You are not alone. I have done all kinds of weird stuff to my tanks. I think the color is from the tannins in the peat, but not completely sure.

I would suggest doing water changes until the nitrites are gone. White clouds are hardy, but it will stress them and if they had ich recently, then they do not need more stress. Salt can alleviate nitrite poisoning, but most plants hate salt. If you are worried about disturbing the substrate, then you can do the water change without doing a thorough gravel vacuuming. Just hold the siphon end above the gravel. Oh, and cut back on food if you haven't already. Eventually your plants will pick up the load, but be careful until they do.
Well since my last post 3-4 days ago i did a huge water change yesterday at least 75-80%, I let the filter do its magic and it definitely cleared the tank alot, my fish have been in the qt for the past 3-4 days and are doing fine, so my tank has been doing its fish-less cycle for the past 3-4 days, nitrITES have been steady at 1ppm, nitrATES at 0ppm, Gh at 150ppm, kh 120ppm, ph at 7-7.2, I did the big wc yesterday and rinsed the filter cartridge in the tank to remove any dead leaves etc, checked my water parameters today and still the same! NitrITES were still present at 1, not even a slight difference, am I doing something wrong? Should I do something else? Am I just impatient and I should wait a couple more days? I just feel bad keeping my white clouds in my small 5.5 gal qt, they need some swimming room!

Any help out there?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode