Is iron (Fe) safe for dojos, kuhlis, and shrimp? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is iron (Fe) safe for dojos, kuhlis, and shrimp?

Also, which ferts could be potentially harmful to certain fish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 07:25 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Yes, iron (Fe) is safe for dojos, kuhlis, and shrimp.

I know of no ferts used for planted tanks that are harmful to any fish.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Shrimps??? Don't know. I once had 25+ Amano Shrimps. Well, they were all dead maybe 6 months ago. Could be from EI dosing or high CO2 level. Back then I wasn't even dosing iron additionally.

Canon Pimp Club #005

Last edited by tetra73; 08-24-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: typoos

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 01:19 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
Shrimps??? Don't know. I once had 25+ Amano Shrimps. Well, they were all died maybe 6 months ago. Could be from EI dosing or high CO2 level. Back then I wasn't even dosing iron additionally.
Amanos are fine with EI dosing and high CO2 levels. I have over 50 in my 90g tank and just added 50 in my 75g tank. Both tanks are dosed EI ferts and have very high CO2 saturation (yellow drop checkers). In fact, I have found that amanos can take a higher level of CO2 than fish.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 01:52 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
Yes, iron (Fe) is safe for dojos, kuhlis, and shrimp.

I know of no ferts used for planted tanks that are harmful to any fish.
According to wet's fert calculator if you over dose Plantex CSM+B you can have too much copper for "some sensitive fish and inverts"... You have to really screw up to add that much though.

I don't know where he gets his % from copper toxicity though, so I can only repeat what it tells me. And I guess you could say the same thing about anything you over dose, but I never would of imagined you could overdose plantex.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Amanos are fine with EI dosing and high CO2 levels. I have over 50 in my 90g tank and just added 50 in my 75g tank. Both tanks are dosed EI ferts and have very high CO2 saturation (yellow drop checkers). In fact, I have found that amanos can take a higher level of CO2 than fish.

Should I try again the second time? Maybe my temp was too high? What's your tank temp?

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

My temps are high. My tanks generally run around 80-82°F.

Amanos are really hardy shrimp. Is it possible the tank had ammonia or nitrites?

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 03:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
My temps are high. My tanks generally run around 80-82°F.

Amanos are really hardy shrimp. Is it possible the tank had ammonia or nitrites?
I doubt it. Fishes were fine. The tank was setup around early August. I didn't add shrimps until Winter. I suspected some sorts of bacterias maybe. At first I thought maybe my Chinese algae eater was killing them..until I saw one of the shrimps just dropped dead while clinging onto a leaf near the water surface...before the CO2 was turned on. I once rescued a shrimp (which has just dropped dead literally seeing it right before my eyes) from my tank by putting it in my pre-treated water. The water was cold. No ferts or whatsoever. It came back to life. I kept the tank temp around 80 degree too.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
At that warm temperature is there plenty of water circulation? Warmer water holds less oxygen. That the shrimp revived in cooler water suggests something like that.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 04:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
At that warm temperature is there plenty of water circulation? Warmer water holds less oxygen. That the shrimp revived in cooler water suggests something like that.
It could be. This was what I saw. At one moment, the shrimp was feeding off some leaves. Then, it stopped moving and slowly sinking to the bottom of the substrate.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 04:26 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

That could explain things. While my tanks run hot, they are very well oxygenated with good circulation, even with the CO2 saturation so high.

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode