50% water changes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish
50% water changes

So, I just ordered some dry ferts from GLA (NPK+CSM&B) and I understand the dosing regime routine, but I am still skeptical about the 50% water changes.

I have a 10 gallon tank so I understand I'll be dosing about 1/4 tsp or less of everything, and then a 50% water change on [Sunday] or whatever day I choose.

Every time I've done a 50% (or more) water change to my 10g, I've lost fish as a result. Is that a side effect of the EI dosing routine? Do I need to be super anal about the new water coming in now?

Now granted, the particular experience I'm talking about was in my earlier experience in the hobby. I freaked out over the color of the dirty water and did a 55ish percent water change without checking the temps & I kind of dumped the new water in very quickly and lost a black moor & telescope goldfish a few days later.

Can someone ensure me that 50% water changes are necessary and maybe instruct me on a proper way to conduct them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 06:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
SF water and about 100+ SFBAAPS members have no issues with large water changes.

If you do frequent water changes.........then the tap and tank should be close, if you do them once every 3-6 months, well............

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
U could 50% water changes but insure that include water conditioner. I'll do a 50% about once a month when I change my filter.. Other than that I do partials 25%.. When I used sand a subtrate I spent almost a whole day cleaning it.. Intil water bucket filled and I was able to the sand without cloudiness.. 10 gl there's much room for error.. Be careful when trying new things .. Good luck

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
i do a 70-80% water change weekly. summer and winter. fish are as healthy as can be

as plantbrain said. if you do regular water changes. the tap and tank water should be much the same and stress will not happen

even dropping the tank 20 degrees wont kill many if any healthy fish

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
You could do 25% twice a week...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)
Thats really weird that your losing fish to water changes, I do 50% everyday and i have yet to see something happen to my fish...

Odd.

- Oz

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
May consider to pre-treat and age your water first before the water change. Something in the water it is causing your fish to die. I do 80% water change per week. 2 40% in a week. I age my water for at least 24 hours to 48 hours and adding conditioner as well.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
I also do large water changes. No deaths from that.

Also waiting 24 hours for your water to gas off chlorine and such and using a dechlore seems a bit much. The dechlore does what letting the water sit does instantly.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallaceGrover View Post
You could do 25% twice a week...
25% twise a week is not equal to 50% WC
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafil View Post
25% twise a week is not equal to 50% WC
As far as removing excess ferts from the water it should be, unless you dose your tank just 1 or 2 consecutive days. Right?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Two half size water changes don't equal one full size change, because the second one removes less of the old water, since it has been diluted by the first change.

Never neglect to add a dechlorinator, like Prime, when you do any water change bigger than 10-15%.

Hoppy
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarsx View Post
Thats really weird that your losing fish to water changes, I do 50% everyday and i have yet to see something happen to my fish...

Odd.

- Oz
^^ I was speaking of a 1 time experience that spooked me from ever doing it again lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyTR View Post
I also do large water changes. No deaths from that.

Also waiting 24 hours for your water to gas off chlorine and such and using a dechlore seems a bit much. The dechlore does what letting the water sit does instantly.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
I have a filtered water tap in my home. I just dump it straight in. But when I'm set up at college, that is exactly what I do. No casualties from that

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
SF water and about 100+ SFBAAPS members have no issues with large water changes.

If you do frequent water changes.........then the tap and tank should be close, if you do them once every 3-6 months, well............

^Boom. Thanks Tom. I'll keep that in mind this next time around.

I'm moving back to school next week. Can't wait to dive into high tech, pressurized CO2 & EI dosing! Oh and, 50% water changes
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
70% weekly water change and rams are healthy and breeding.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
i do a 70-80% water change weekly. summer and winter. fish are as healthy as can be

as plantbrain said. if you do regular water changes. the tap and tank water should be much the same and stress will not happen

even dropping the tank 20 degrees wont kill many if any healthy fish
I disagree. If you have a warm tank, and splash ice cold water onto fish, they can easily die from shock.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
I disagree. If you have a warm tank, and splash ice cold water onto fish, they can easily die from shock.
Nope. I took a zebra danio out of my tank and plopped it into cold toilet water and it was still alive.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode