Best Quick Cycling Solution? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Best Quick Cycling Solution?

I have a "new" 20 Long with New Amazonia that I would like cycled and ready for fish as soon as possible. What product is the best to cycle fast?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Read the label and buy a product with Nitrospiros. These are the actual bacteria that thrive long term in your aquarium.
Products that include this species of bacteria are:
Tetra Safe Start
Dr. Tim's One and Only
Microbe Lift's Nite Out II.
There may be others, but read the label yourself, do not take the word of a store sales staff who says 'This other one is just the same'.
If they won't tell you what is in it, do not buy it.

To use these materials:
Pour it into the tank. Let it circulate. Add fish.
If you are adding just a few fish, then use perhaps a quarter dose to half dose. Keep the rest in the fridge. When you are ready to add more fish, add more Nitrospiros. There is no problem with over dosing (except the waste: If there is not enough ammonia, the bacteria die off to match the food supply)
Do not do a water change for a few days after adding these materials. It takes a few days for them to get well anchored to the filter media and other surfaces.

If you want to add the material today, but you know the fish are not coming for several days or a week, that is OK, but you will need to feed the bacteria. They eat ammonia. After adding the bacteria, add enough ammonia to test 1 ppm right away, and add that much again in several hours. After that you can feed the bacteria once a day, enough ammonia to test 3 ppm.
When the fish arrive do as large a water change as needed to get the nitrate down to safe levels.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 04:48 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've used Tetra Safe Start twice with great success. The key is to not use any ammonia detoxifying water conditioners within 24 hours of adding TSS and to make sure you use enough TSS. For example:

Day 1 - Treat water with Seachem Prime and start tank/run filter.

Day 2 - 24 hours after water was treated, add TSS. A few hours later, add your fish stock.

Day 14 - Perform a water change and you should be all set.

Yes, you do nothing for 2 weeks. Not even test (assuming you're not seeing signs of fish stress). The other important thing to note is to make sure you use enough TSS. It's expensive, but I dumped a whole bottle labeled for a 75 gallon in my 20.

I'm sure results will vary, but as I said I had great success with it. I did this in non-planted tanks, so my guess is with a planted tank you would have even less risk.

Other than using a commercial product, you're only other option is to find some established filter media to put in your filter.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
If you ate using Amazonia. I am guessing you are planted. Follow the Ada method, change your water everyday for the first week (50%) and every other day the second week. Check your ammonia at the end of the second week, do use a bacteria as mentioned above, the Amazonia it self has enough ammonia to help you cycle your tank with out the need of fish. Be patient after 2 weeks you should be able to introduce some fish. The water changes also help with algae. I am also assuming you are using co2. Follow the book of Ada, it works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fplata View Post
If you ate using Amazonia. I am guessing you are planted. Follow the Ada method, change your water everyday for the first week (50%) and every other day the second week. Check your ammonia at the end of the second week, do use a bacteria as mentioned above, the Amazonia it self has enough ammonia to help you cycle your tank with out the need of fish. Be patient after 2 weeks you should be able to introduce some fish. The water changes also help with algae. I am also assuming you are using co2. Follow the book of Ada, it works.
This. Just fill your tank with plant mass (you want to start with literally 80% or so of your end results) and let it grow over 2-3 weeks. Do frequent water changes and dose ferts and CO2. Your tank will cycle nicely and you'll have lush growth to boot (the plants will eat up the ammonia and fresh AS nutrients).

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Is there an article for this "ADA method"?

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Look at some of the posts by frank Xavier on this forum, they are clearly detailed there. But just stick to your water changes and plant heavy

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also you can purchase the ads book at adgshoop.com

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Mulm from an already established tank will help greatly.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Product like Tetra Safe Start - be sure to check the expiration date. On Tetra it is on the bottom, at the Petsmart near me they had stuff that expired in a month, in 6 months, and one bottle that had expired the year before.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
A Quick Way to Cycle a Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
I have a "new" 20 Long with New Amazonia that I would like cycled and ready for fish as soon as possible. What product is the best to cycle fast?
Hello That...

You can instantly cycle a tank, but you have to have an established tank of identical size and a similar filtration system as the tank you want to cycle. You just need to locate another 20 G Long with a similar filtration system as yours. Just swap out part of the filter media from the established tank and put it into the filter in the new tank and you're "good to go", instant cycling.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Banned

PTrader: (21/100%)
With New Amazonia I can say that if you happen to have a reverse flow UGF you can have ammonia and nitrite readings down to 0 in under a week.

The Fraternity of Dirt #59

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode