IAL turns water brown in one night - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
IAL turns water brown in one night

I dropped a single leaf (ripped up) in my 9g, and another in my 20g. The water in the 20 is yellow, water in the 9g is brown, obstructing tons of light :/

Plant growth visibly slows down, some even end up dying away / fading color. Think I'm going to stop using IAL altogether. Are they always like this? Or I just got some really potent stuff w/ tons of tannins?

current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

| retired:

|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/100%)
it's not always like that. soak in jar for week or so to cut the tannins too.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
They're not all like that, I have to put at least 6 full grade a leaves in mine to get the water just slightly tea colored, but If it bothers you, purigen will take out the color but leave the beneficial qualities of ial alone.

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If I added something to the tank and saw bad effects from doing so, I would stop adding that something. You should see something good happening if you add something to improve things. When you don't, the something you added is very unlikely to be beneficial. And, when something bad happens, the something you added is detrimental. That just seems basic to me.

Hoppy
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If I added something to the tank and saw bad effects from doing so, I would stop adding that something. You should see something good happening if you add something to improve things. When you don't, the something you added is very unlikely to be beneficial. And, when something bad happens, the something you added is detrimental. That just seems basic to me.
Who says this is bad? IAL contain tannins and this is the natural effect of them. While I agree with your statement in general, I think it implies that something here is bad. It is normal. Sometimes even desired.

I find that lower grade leaves tend to release less tannins.

Rinsing the leaves well in hot water will reduce this effect as well. Or boil for a few minutes.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
i've got a varied batch and some turn my water brown, some just like a light tea.. really dpends on the leaf i guess

Sump Pimp #7

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
My point is that if adding something changes the color of the water and you don't want that, don't add that something. If you believe that tannins in the water are beneficial you should see something good happen when you add the tannins. If you don't, why add them? Especially not if you don't want the color in the water.

I don't know if tannins offer any real benefit or not, not do I know if IAL is a good addition to a tank, so I can't offer a specific opinion on that. I do know that something that I add that makes me like my tank less isn't a good idea.

Hoppy
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
It is just the difference in the leaves. The best leaves are allowed to fall naturally before being collected, cleaned and sun dried. Lower grade or cheap leaves may be collected green and not properly dried.

Rod
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
If you do not want the color or tannins as much as you want them for a food source for your shrimp, soak them for a week in a bucket or bowl before use. And if you use some tank water when you soak them they will have more bio film when you go to use them.

Rod
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
The bad is, too much tannins in water obstructs my limited lighting, and leaving it as is the plants die back.

I've been using IAL for some time, just this latest batch of leaves have been doing some major staining. I guess leaf grades (or maybe color, these were a DARK PURPLE) do matter. For future reference I'll soak the higher grade ones, or just use less of them.

current:

| retired:

|
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 05:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
if u dont like the tannin. next time boil the leaves before adding it to ur tank. boiling it releases all the tannins.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
Ive put 3 (2 whole/1 torn up. non boiled) IAL in my 5g and no color change, but i am running purigen in my HOB filter.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode