Can anybody help me? thx - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can anybody help me? thx

Hello, I need some help with this.
I cannot get this lighting right. I have a 12 gallon Biocube that i converted to freshwater. It is med planted and want it densely planted. The tank measurements are L14x W14x H13. The light is 13 inches from the gravel. I cannot adjust the heights because of the hood. I am using one stock coralife PC 10000k 24watt and think that is med light? Some plants like HC is not doing great. I added Tensor 27watt 6400K full spectrum compact fluorescent and in three days running both I noticed algea growing so I think I had too much light but the plants looked better. I also bought Sun Blaster 6400K 13W compact fluorescent full spectrum light so I am thinking i should replace the 27watt with the 13 watt.

Water parameters
Nitrates 2ppm
Nitrite 0
GH 150ppm
KH 145 ppm
pH 7.6
Ammonia 0ppm
Phosphate 0ppm

I guess the plants are not getting enough nutrients? Phosphates should be 2-3ppm? and what about nitrates?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Nitrate can be anywhere from about 5 to 20, and it is OK for the plants. For more delicate fish, aim for under 10 ppm from fish food sources.

Phosphate ought to show on the test, but at low levels.

Lights: See if you can find PAR information about each light that you are trying.
Plants (including algae) use a lot of certain wavelengths, and almost none of other wavelengths.
Before PAR info was widely available Kelvin (K) value was the guide:
Almost anywhere in the 6,000 seemed to grow plants the best, and 6,500 - 6,700 was optimum. 10,000 has too much blue, not enough red wavelengths. On a small tank (under 20 gallons), (before PAR) the aim was for over 2 watts per gallon, and 3-5 wpg was better. These numbers were for T-8 and especially T-12 bulbs with pretty bad reflectors.

Are you adding any carbon? Excel? pressurized? DIY?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I use pressurized co2. No excel. Should I be? So I guess I should buy phosphate supplement. And how do I raise nitrites. Do less water change? Right now I do about 40% water change once a week.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anybody?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I was going to say you might have too much light till I saw you injected CO2. Maybe you still have too much light even with injecting CO2. Since the question seems to be related heavily related to lights you might get more helpful responses if this thread were in the Lighting Subsection. A mod. could move it for you, if you wanted.

Also if you are injecting CO2 I don't see a need for Excel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, can a mod please move this thread to lighting forum. thx
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

In a high tech tank (high light, pressurized CO2) there is not enough nutrients in fish food to be the only source of fertilizers.

Look into fertilizing systems such as Estimative Index. This is a method of supplying plenty of fertilizers, then doing a large water change (like you are already doing) to make sure the 'plenty' does not become 'way too much'.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I installed this light now
This light I previously had and the algea appeared in 2-3 days

The holes on the anubias nana were cause by the Nerite snails teeth.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
ah a dreaded black type algae

remove infected leaves ASAP.. it will only reproduce more..
how long are ur lihts on for? between 8-12 hours is acceptable for most tanks

black algaes are commong for too much light and too little c02. PERIOD
not enough ferts can exacerbate the issue but it does reduce the demand for c02 with less available nutrients

i'd start by reducing lighting some and get a solid fertilizer routine.. remove any affected leaves and keep hardscape and glass clean
change water about 2-3x per week until things get under control. do the work now so it does not get worse later

Sump Pimp #7

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I had coralife 24 watt 6700k light on for 12 hours
and
Tensor 27W 6400k full spectrum light on for 6 hours

Now
I have coralife for 8 hours and the 13watt light for 5 hours with 2 hour break in between

or should I just use the Tensor 27 watt or Sunblaster 13 watt by itself and see what happens?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode