CO2 and O2 levels - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
CO2 and O2 levels

Folks,

if i where to increase my CO2 levels off the charts, say 15 BPS on a 20 gallon tank and introduce O2 so that my fish would not die (do not know the amount i will need, but i can run some tests) would that work. Meaning can i crank up the CO2 for my plants and counter it with o2 for my fish. The idea is to get the CO2 Levels as high as possible for the plants and enough O2 in the water to keep my fish happy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Increasing O2 and water flow will help the fish tolerate higher CO2 levels. I would increase the O2 first, then slowly increase CO2 over the course of a week. Only adjust the needle valve when you expect to be around to monitor things. Don't increase your bubble rate and then go to work, for instance. Increased water flow will help the plants use the CO2 better as well.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you sir, now i need to find a regulator for 02

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
If your plants are growing well enough you don't need to add additional O2. Just get some surface agitation and you'll be fine.

O2 from the agitation and good photosynthesis should provide your fish a good amount of O2 to let them be able to withstand higher CO2 levels.

Sent from my fingers

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I want extreme plant growth

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
jw but isnt there a point where the water will become so "saturated" that it won't be able tolerate anymore CO2 or O2?

jkan: idk much about CO2 levels but it seems like the levels he wants to jump to would be so high that even great photosyn, and tons of agitation wouldn't be enough

Will

on Facebook.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Correct, i want to go to the 60ppm or more CO2, as much as i can saturate the water and the plants continue to benefit while the o2 helps maintain life. I am sure i will reach a level of saturation of c02 that the plants will no longer befit from it, another concern of mine is if introduce 02 can i maintain the co2 levels high while maintaining enough o2 to sustain life confortably for fish

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Pressurized O2 could be dangerous. Maybe expensive. I am not sure you could go that high with CO2 and the fishes gills still work properly. I would just use a power head to create moderate surface agitation and slowly increase the CO2 from there. If you are really wanting to go that high in CO2 saturation, do so without fish and see if the benefit to plants is worthwhile. It would be better to try that first, before spending money for an O2 Regulator and tank and finding out the benefit isnt worth it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I used pressurized o2 on my fishing boat to help the bait stay alive. I guess I can use one of those systems to test with

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
if ur looking for more o2, get a wet/dry filter. that's what they were made for. far safer for o2 as well

my bubble rate is about 8 /s on my 29 gallon and i am way past yellow on my d/c my 5 dkh dc is also yellow. before i adjusted it was yellow green. its now yellow too.. i have MORE than enough c02 for my light levels. and fish are still A ok

otherwise just watch ur fish. and increase. i don't think u need 20 bps in a 20 gallon unless u have like 300 -600 wats of metal halide lighting sitting on the tank

besides. aquatic plants CANNOT use more than 200 moles of PAR. so i believe ur looking beyond the useable range of c02 anyways

Sump Pimp #7

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The problem with too much agitation is that the co2 will gas out. The reason I am leaning towards the o2 is to increase oxygen with out the loss of co2

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

the loss is very minimal.. done properly u don't lose much

c02 is a lot cheaper than oxygen and dissolves much easier. u'll waste more o2 with surface agitation than u will c02

Sump Pimp #7

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
This isn't going to work. If you, as you say, increase your CO2 levels off the charts, you will simply kill your fish. O2 levels are totally independent from CO2 levels. Water has a limited solubility for O2, and saturation (100%) is reached very often in our well planted and lit and fertilized tanks, without even adding any artificial O2 at all (we call this "pearling"). Now CO2 is very soluble in water, and no matter if your O2 is low or high or maxed out, will kill fish quickly if that's what you are after.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
This isn't going to work. If you, as you say, increase your CO2 levels off the charts, you will simply kill your fish. O2 levels are totally independent from CO2 levels. Water has a limited solubility for O2, and saturation (100%) is reached very often in our well planted and lit and fertilized tanks, without even adding any artificial O2 at all (we call this "pearling"). Now CO2 is very soluble in water, and no matter if your O2 is low or high or maxed out, will kill fish quickly if that's what you are after.

the only thing i might add to this, is just because u see pearling does not mean that 100% of the tank water is saturated with oxygen. low flow can produce these results..
for example. a wetsuit keeps u warm by holding a small layer of water next to ur body. there is't much transfer of heat without tons of cold water gliding by

for our aquariums. plants have this same problem in lower flow areas. lower flow means the same water is staying closer by and they can saturate the water surrounding them quite easily. my tank is a soda pop with huge amounts of flow, so im there. but if i turn my filter off for 5 minutes. my plants have bubbles alllllllllll over them from top to bottom almsot every square inch. even some stems have bubbles. i turn on the flow and many float away. but they don't build back up because, they are dissolving into the water column. plants are still pearling maddly, just not turning into bubbly messes

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode