Co2 question. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 question.

I posted this thread in general disscusion so reposting here as i may get a better response. Please close original thread.

Hi all

Firstly ill give you some info of my tank.

Fluval roma 125

Filter is an all pond solutions ef 1400 with uv carbon is removed with extra bio balls added.

Lighting is stock t8 2 brand new bulbs one aqua glo one power glo.

Substrate is unipac aqaurium sand.

200w heater set at 26.c

Tank is planted moderatly id say but plants need to grow out yet.

Stock is
6 rice fish
6 harlequin rasboras
5 cardinal tetra
3 peppered corys
a pair of bolivian rams

Ok i have been looking at the hagen natural co2 system to help my plants along. I read that in order to determine your co2 you must know your ph and kh.

So i have tested both, my ph is 7 tested with both ph strips and hagen liquid test kit. Kh also tested with hagen liquid test kit comes out at 8 degrees.

Now according to charts i have seen that would suggest i have already got 25ppm co2 in my tank without injecting any co2 is that right?

Or am i missing something here i have to admit i'm a little confused.

GH is 14.4
KH is 8
PH is 7

Does that make my co2 25ppm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
No. The chart is a reference. Basically count what u have as zero. And once u start injecting co2 the resulting ph change from ur current ph and kh will give u an idea of where ur at.

The chart is only accurate if ur water is perfectly calibrated to that chart.. It's more for scientific study.

If I might add. If ur gonna do co2 look at the more expensive long term solutions. Saves a lot of trouble and problems later on. If I'm not mistaken Hagen uses the yeast method. For that matter. Ucam do ur own DIY c02 with yeast in about 1day and 7 but worth of materials

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
No. The chart is a reference. Basically count what u have as zero. And once u start injecting co2 the resulting ph change from ur current ph and kh will give u an idea of where ur at.

The chart is only accurate if ur water is perfectly calibrated to that chart.. It's more for scientific study.

If I might add. If ur gonna do co2 look at the more expensive long term solutions. Saves a lot of trouble and problems later on. If I'm not mistaken Hagen uses the yeast method. For that matter. Ucam do ur own DIY c02 with yeast in about 1day and 7 but worth of materials
Thank you for your reply.

Ive managed to pick up a hagen natural plant system up from ebay for £9.95. Im a homebrewer so im not bothered about having to mix up yeast and sugar once every 3 weeks.

So once i start adding co2 will it lower my kh as well as ph or just ph? Ive ordered a co2 indicator/ drop checker to be safe anyway.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
kh will stay the same for the most part. it may go up if some of the carbon attaches to available calcium.
more than anything ph will go down.. the resulting ph change is one of the best ways to "measure" c02 levels but still its no very accurate. there are digital meters and titration kis that can get u closer

the best indicator is plant growth

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode