Kent RO Right in degrees of hardness - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Kent RO Right in degrees of hardness

I'm sure someone has figured this out, but I can't find it. Kent's RO Right instructions say to add 1/2 tsp to 10 gallons of RO water to make very soft water. Has anyone determined how this relates to degrees of hardness? For example, 1/2 tsp added to 10 gallons of water will raise the GH 2 degrees of hardness. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Salty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
And that is why i use equilibrium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Fplata, I know what you mean. I only need the smallest amount, and Kent was a couple of bucks cheaper for a smaller jar than the Seachem, so I went Kent.

I keep reading mixed reviews, too. Some say Kent RO Right is the best thing ever, others say it has too much plain salt.

I swear, I should have just made it myself.

Salty

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fplata View Post
And that is why i use equilibrium
Saying you use equilibrium consider switching to GLA's ultimate booster based on the fact it's priced lower and ground to a finer powder so it mixes better. Contains the same mineral blend.

Kents RO Right contains a small amount of carbonate buffer so it alters KH and results in a pH rise using it also. Both GH and KH values shift. Better value in several other products when it comes to planted aquariums (imo). OP I have used that product but before my first order was used up I switched to GH booster and baking soda.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Interesting, gh booster does make since. Now I am wondering if potassium carbonate or bicarbonate will work as a kh booster as well as my daily potassium dosage.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think you can.
I am not sure if, by itself, the dose would be right. You might still have to add more K, perhaps from K2SO4.

How much to you need to raise the KH? Usually this needs to be done only at water change time. If you used potassium bicarbonate then, you might then use K2SO4 on non-water change days.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Diana, what is the effect of sulfur on the planted tank as it pertains to k2so4

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I contacted Kent and asked the question. The basic answer was that it was impossible for them to say. Too many variables. They also said their product contains very little magnesium and calcium, so standard GH and KH tests don't work and one must use a TDS meter. As it happens, I have one on the way.

Since 1/2 tsp in 10 gals of RO water yields very soft water according to the instructions, I'm going to assume that is around 2-3 dGH. My aquarium is around 6 gallons of water, so I am going to very slowly increase my GH by adding 1/16 tsp (pinch) of RO Right twice a week over the course of three weeks. I'm doing 50% water changes once per week, so after the water change, I'll obviously add more to bring the tank back to where it was before the water change, so the GH doesn't slip backwards. My well water has only 1 GH and 2 KH naturally. After I reach the third week, then I'll try to maintain my GH by adding 1/8 tsp each 50% water change. Of course, I'll test along the way and adjust this plan as necessary. It's a guestimate, but it should put me somewhere around 5 dGH and 3 dKH.

I'm doing this very slowly, since I have two otos, two nerite snails, and a couple of Amano shrimp in the aquarium. Does that sound like it will be gradual enough not to shock any of the wildlife?

Salty

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 04:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

very interesting, if you are staring with rodi water there are no variables, unless the only variable is their product

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I wonder what is in it, if it is not much Ca or Mg?

Interesting to see the test results.

I wonder why they cannot tell you what effect it has on the water?
Adding X amount per gallon will change...
KH by Y
GH by Z
TDS by....
and so on.
Sure, it is possible that some of their ingredients might react with something in tap or well water, but since the product is called RO right, they sure could publish the results based on adding their product to RO water!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Diana, there are a lot of discussions along these same lines I've dug up. It seems that the product has a high degree of sodium salt.

Ingredient Name - (CAS Number) - %
CALCIUM SALTS (10043-52-4) < 0 - 20
CARBONIC SALTS (144-55- < 0 - 20
MAGNESIUM SALTS (7786-30-3) < 0 - 20
SODIUM SALTS (7647-14-5) < 0 - 40
SULFATES (7757-82-6) < 0 - 20

The CAS numbers bolded are table salt (sodium chloride) and sodium sufate, a filler used commonly in laundry detergent, though it has other uses as well.

Yet, some swear Kent is fantastic stuff. The previous discussions I've found say Kent is very hush-hush about what is in their product. So far, I'm not feeling great about using their product. I agree 100%. They could have easily said something like, "These results will vary based on your water chemistry, but ..." They even said that the test results could vary from sample to sample of the same water. What?!

In fairness, I suppose Equilibrium could also say it doesn't contain much calcium (8%) or magnesium (2%). Seachem does state that competing products contain sodium chloride, and Seachem Equilibrium doesn't contain sodium chloride.

I'm concerned that over time doing the weekly water changed and adding small amounts of RO Right, I'll eventually get a sodium build-up in the tank.

Salty

Last edited by SaltyNC; 08-15-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Clarified statement
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fwiw I buffer with potassium bicarbonate, sometimes add calcium bicarbonate to tanks with no rock work, then pump in some pferts brand micronutrients. I debate on trying other products when this seems to work, but sometimes get worried I am not providing all the micros the plants/fish need.

I don't practice ei dosing, so no idea if this is "correct" but it grows plants and algae only pops up when I move stuff around, disturb the substrate, or put in a lot of bioload quickly.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've read its just repacked instant ocean salt mix.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

MSDS

:

INSTANT OCEAN SYNTHETIC SEA SALT

CAS

:

10043-52-4
7447-40-7
7757-82-6
7647-14-5
7786-30-3

NAME

:

calcium chloride
potassium chloride
sodium sulfate
nacl common salt
magnesium chloride
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I like pandacory's method: Add things we know are in fresh water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode