Low to median light tank ferts? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low to median light tank ferts?

Someone suggested in another thread of mine that I should be adding trace elements. I've tried looking things up but I'm completely confused on what I should be doing. Can anyone send me in the right direction? Thanks a lot.

Tank -55 gallons
Lighting- 2 32 watt t-8 bulbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Do you want to do the EI method?
Have you seen the charts? Here is the EI chart for your tank.

40~60gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/2 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/8 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
3/4 Tsp-GH booster once a week
10ml or 1/8Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
2-4ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

See the range of tank sizes? This dosing is a good place to start if you have a high tech 40 gallon or a low tech 60 gallon. I would use this as a starting point for your tank.

Trace minerals are available in many forms. Do you have one on hand?
One way to gauge how much to use: Dose to keep the iron level correct, and assume the other minerals (all needed in lower amounts) will be right.
If the trace mineral source you use is low in iron, then dose more iron.
I use CSM+B and also chelated iron.

GH booster is optional. If your tap water is already OK for GH, then skip it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
With a standard 2 bulb T8 shop light, or an old style 2 bulb T8 aquarium light, you will only have low light, so the dose amounts in that table are more than you need, and you would really need to do weekly 50% water changes if you dosed that much. Try dosing those amounts just once a week, to see if that improves the plants growth. If so, you could increase the dosing to twice a week to see if the plants do even better. If not, then drop back to the once a week dosing.

Hoppy

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:19 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Also, depending on the plants and the substrate, you may find that adding root tabs is all you need to do with low lighting.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 03:53 AM
Planted Member

I have a freshly set up 40B, with 3x 13W CFL's over it, high but the tank still gets good (low) light. I only have Anubias, Java fern, some Hygro compact, crypt lutea in there, so mostly all low-light plants. I do have some telanthera, but to be honest that's not going to to so well anyway (impulse buy!)

My question is, with no CO2 (not even DIY), does dosing small amounts (like the above chart, once or twice a week) hurt low light plants? Or would the benefit be almost nothing? I don't mind trying EI but I don't want to super overload my tank if the plant's aren't going to use it/benefit.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode