EI Dosing question, how much Iron? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
EI Dosing question, how much Iron?

Okay, so I have my dry ferts and set and ready, I just want to make sure I know what to add on what days and all of that. Its a 75 gallon by the way.

Day 1: 50% Water Change and 1 Tsp. GH Booster
Day 2: 1/4 tsp K2SO4, 3/16 tsp KH2PO4, 3/4 KNO3
Day 3: 1/4 tsp "trace" and however much Iron
Day 4: Same as Day 2
Day 5: Same as Day 3
Day 6: Same as Day 2
Day 7: Same as Day 3

Does this sound about right? And could you tell me how much iron I should add as well. I have some red stem plants that I believe would appreciate some iron, such as R. macarandara and various Ludwigia species, as well as a few swords and Hygrophilia. Thanks in advance.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So, I have decided to simply just try dosing 1/4 tsp of Iron on the same day I dose my trace, my trace being CSM+B btw. I figure I want to help get some reds out in my plants anyway, and I doubt I'm over doing it by much if I am over doing it at all.

Mom's Spec V:
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
So, I have decided to simply just try dosing 1/4 tsp of Iron on the same day I dose my trace, my trace being CSM+B btw. I figure I want to help get some reds out in my plants anyway, and I doubt I'm over doing it by much if I am over doing it at all.
getting the reds always doesn't relate to Fe, it also relate to co2, light.

csm+b have enough iron already IMO, but you can add extra 0.20ppm per dose from other Iron sources, such as Fe chelate 11% etc.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

so, how much would that translate into in teaspoons? I have everything dry.

Mom's Spec V:
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
PERSONALLY i'd just dose more csm+b.. that's what i currently do and works out fine

but, if u just want to increase iron. try 1/16 tsp of iron. plants do not use much

ill add that iron does not in itself help with reds. other than help the plant use some available nutrients such as magnesium

if ur plants have enough iron as it is. it wont help with reds.
plants produce red as a sun tan effect. they darken their colors to prevent damage from too much light
adequate c02 helps with this as well

Sump Pimp #7

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Trd t ╦σ R├r.

PTrader: (363/100%)
Where is the rest day as suggested while dosing EI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
getting the reds always doesn't relate to Fe, it also relate to co2, light.

csm+b have enough iron already IMO, but you can add extra 0.20ppm per dose from other Iron sources, such as Fe chelate 11% etc.
Very true:Still Folks cant get desire color in their Weed. There are other factors as well..If red is still fading: Little more K or mg or both needs to be added.

Quote:
so, how much would that translate into in teaspoons? I have everything dry.
If I remember right Tom suggested to do 3:1 Ratio(Csm: Fe). Do some forum search for 100% answer.

Cheers!!!
J
"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near."
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Isn't the "rest day" the water change day? I listed that as day one, 50% water change and I add some GH booster mainly because I'd like some calcium in my water, or should I put in the GH on a different day?

Mom's Spec V:
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
i used to do it that way. and i probably doesnt make a difference but i like to have the rest day as a no dose day and the day afterwards change my water, add gh booster then nitrates and after about an hour add phosphates..

either way should be fine but i feel like this way is a little better

Sump Pimp #7

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
http://calc.petalphile.com says that .25 teaspoon csm+b gives you .25 ppm Fe in a 75 gallon. Adding 1/16 of a teaspoon of 11 % DTPA FE would be an additional .09 ppm FE. .34 PPM of FE wouldnt be bad. It might not be necessary but, it wouldn't be bad.

DTPA will chelate FE longer at certain PH ranges of water so, it could be good insurance.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosman View Post
http://calc.petalphile.com says that .25 teaspoon csm+b gives you .25 ppm Fe in a 75 gallon. Adding 1/16 of a teaspoon of 11 % DTPA FE would be an additional .09 ppm FE. .34 PPM of FE wouldnt be bad. It might not be necessary but, it wouldn't be bad.

DTPA will chelate FE longer at certain PH ranges of water so, it could be good insurance.
This post seems very informative but it totally went over my head XD. Can you explain in layman's terms, or is this layman's terms and I'm just screwed lol

Mom's Spec V:
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
This post seems very informative but it totally went over my head XD. Can you explain in layman's terms, or is this layman's terms and I'm just screwed lol
The calculator allows you to figure out the ppm (parts per million) dosing of the spoon sizes he is using. I just used what he was dosing in teaspoons for the EI (Estimative Index) method of dosing. EI says that .25 ppm is a reasonable amount for FE (iron). Adding .5 ppm would be ok but maybe "overkill". So adding more as suggested, would be reasonable. EI is a guesstimate of higher than needed dosages. If its higher than necessary, no problem you should do a 50 % water change per week anyway. You might be adding more than necessary to make sure you have enough. And then do a 50 % water change to remove the build up that happens in a week.

Its a great method for non chemists like me. It just costs more chemicals but, they are cheap in powder form.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Given you tank pics...........I'd say you need less ferts, and not worry as much, maybe 2x a week EI, maybe even 1/2 that, you just lack a lot of plant biomass and have a large fish load.

Maybe water change 2x a week and then dose 1/2 EI after.

That would be good for fish/plants.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, those pics are a little out of date and I have more plants now. The funny thing is, EI dosing will actually be easier for me than 1/2 EI and 2x water changes simply because I know that my parents will not be willing to do those water changes. I can get them to do it once a week, but already they are complaining that it is annoying....mainly because I always do it but I can't do it when I'm not so around for school. Aside from that, I figure that EI is a rather simple concept once someone spells it out for you, but if you feel like doing full on EI would be detrimental towards my fish then I will alter what I do when I can.

Mom's Spec V:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode