pH change during cycling - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
pH change during cycling

I'm in week 3 of cycling my tank and for the first time, my water has read as 6.0 pH. It has been as high as 7.6 but has usually hung around 6.6-7.0. What can I expect of my pH readings during cycling?
What chemical processes going on in the tank will change pH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
What kind of substrate are you using? If your water is 6 and then its raising to 7.6, but then maybe you're doing water changes which brings it back down a bit, could be something in the substrate buffering the pH up.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
What kind of substrate are you using? If your water is 6 and then its raising to 7.6, but then maybe you're doing water changes which brings it back down a bit, could be something in the substrate buffering the pH up.
My substrate is pea gravel pebbles.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
"Tap water 6.6 to 7.0, sometimes up to 7.6 and neutral substrate... "

Not enough info. What buffers are in the water? Carbonates are the most common. Test the KH (or look it up in your water quality report).

Are you using any pH altering materials? (pH up, neutral regulator, pH down... )

Peat moss, certain substrates (test the pea gravel to be sure it is neutral).
__________________________________________________ ______

Changes in pH are dictated by what is in the water, and what reactions are going on in the water, for example what the microorganisms are doing.

When you are cycling you are mainly growing nitrifying bacteria.
These bacteria need a small amount of certain minerals. They get their carbon from carbonates.
The KH of the water can go down as the bacteria use it, but such a small amount that unless you are starting with almost none the loss is nothing. Just make sure the KH is at least 3 German degrees of hardness, and your tank will be fine. Higher is not a problem at all.

Other things going on:
If you have added to the tank or filter peat moss, driftwood, organic soil (meaning compost of some sort), leaves or other things like these, these materials release several organic acids to the water, some act almost like ion exchange water softeners, and decomposing matter has a pH lowering effect.
If the KH is already a bit low (3 degrees or less) these other effects can lower the pH.
__________________________________________________ _______

Test the tank while it is cycling. Keep the GH and KH over 3 German degrees of hardness. The nitrifying bacteria grow best when the pH is on the alkaline side of neutral (anywhere in the 7s), but I do not know if that is strictly a pH thing, or because the bacteria need carbon from carbonates, and if the carbonates are too low the pH is often too low, too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode