can we use normal earth plants fertilizers in our tanks ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
can we use normal earth plants fertilizers in our tanks ?

Hi all

I was wondring if we can use normal earth plants fertilizers in our tanks

I have this fertilizers with the following

Total nitrogen (n) 20%
Available phosphore (P2O5) 20%
Soluble Potasium (k2O) 20%

so can it be used ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Fertilizers for garden plants, row crops and other land based growing methods are different from fertilizers for aquarium plants. The biggest difference is this:
Land fertilizers are applied to the soil. The soil is relatively dry most of the time. There is high oxygen and moderate to low water compared to an aquarium.
Fertilizer applied to the soil breaks down in those conditions at a particular rate, depending on what the fertilizer is made of, but the key is that it breaks down, and interacts with the soil, water and air that is in the soil in a certain way.

When you put that fertilizer under water it may react differently. There is less oxygen in an aquarium substrate, and a lot more water.

That may make a difference, not so much to the plants, but to the fish, shrimp and snails in the aquarium.

When some of these fertilizers are used on the land they can kill or reduce the micro- and macro-organisms in the soil. Bacteria, fungi, earthworms, insects and many other things sometimes do not live when certain fertilizers are used.
The same problem happens with fish etc.

If you have access to some of that fertilizer I would test it separately from the aquarium, and not just use it right away in the tank.
1) Put a few grains in a jar of water and test with all the aquarium tests you have, but especially ammonia, nitite and nitrate. GH, KH and pH, too.
2) Put a few grains in a jar and cover it with some of the substrate you are using in the tank. Same tests.
If all the tests show that the fertilizer seems to be safe for fish, then set up a separate container that is similar to your tank. A few grains or more of fertilizer, covered with the substrate. A cycled filter, or share some media from the cycled filter on an established tank. Plants. Then add a few fish. Run the same tests, and also monitor the fish.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thank for your input Diana

there is something i didn't mention about that fertilizer it is not for the soil it should be mixed with water and to be sprayed on the leafs that's why i thought it may be good for our plants so what do you think Diana

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Another difference is the nitrogen in terrestrials are usually ammonia/urea. Be careful with the amount or your fish will die or trigger algae.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
We dose about 4 times as much nitrate and potassium as phosphate, but that mix has equal parts of each, so it would give you more phosphate in the water than you need, or less nitrate and potassium than you need. It also probably has mostly urea for nitrogen, and you can only dose very small quantities in an aquarium without causing problems.

Hoppy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Yes you can use terrestrial ferts in your Aquarium. The issues is not the sources i.e.. Urea based as some Aquarium frets are Urea based. The issue is water solubility and strength. I think the solubility point is self explanatory. I would be concerned about 20-20-20. I would advise keeping the levels more in line with levels offer as Aquarium ferts.

Look for frets made to be diluted in water sources are Hydroponic shops and Liquid house plant foods.

I use Atlantis Fish Emulsion 2-4-0 and Dr. Earth's SeaWeed Concentrate 0-0-4.5 occasionally as I find my Java ferns and Mosses are benefitting. I find 1 drop to gl. is working well on a 1X week dose after water changes. I use those two products in the garden and on the house plants as well. Those are around $10 ea. and at 1 drop per gl they will last a long time for most hobbyist.

I use the fish emulsion when fish population is light or during time of lots of water changes like out heat wave here in the Mid-West.

I have do use these product with Amano shrimp in the tank.

I would STRONGLY advise going very light on the dosing and learn what your particular tank, plants, fish, inverts and filter like. Also, the two products I use SMELL exactly how you would think something made from dead fish or seaweed would smell.

Last edited by DogFish; 08-14-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: content
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Planted Member

Yes,we can
I use type "white" of this http://agrofild.com/en/agrofild_product/yara-kristalon/ 200g for 3$ in local garden shop
But as mistergreen said-be careful.You must to be sure that your water has Ph 6,8 or less because of ammonium nitrogen.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

OK thank you all guys i have read all your inputs very carefully thing that makes me want to use this kind of fertilizers that LFS at my place do not care much about planted tanks so there is no fertilizers to be sold except one shop that he made by himself a liquid fertilizers he says its German technology and there is no info on it just a white bottle

this fertilizer i have is a blue powder what if i want to try it how much i add for a 10 g tank or per gallon
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamezawy View Post
OK thank you all guys i have read all your inputs very carefully thing that makes me want to use this kind of fertilizers that LFS at my place do not care much about planted tanks so there is no fertilizers to be sold except one shop that he made by himself a liquid fertilizers he says its German technology and there is no info on it just a white bottle

this fertilizer i have is a blue powder what if i want to try it how much i add for a 10 g tank or per gallon
I wouldn't put any fert in my tank if I didn't know the content and strength levels.

You posted you had a fert that was:

Total nitrogen (n) 20%
Available phosphore (P2O5) 20%
Soluble Potasium (k2O) 20%

You would start with understanding the dilution level

So if 4 grams of powder makes 1 liter of 20-20-20 liquid frets. Then if you use 4 grams of powder to 4 liters of water you now have 5-5-5. I would start with 1 drop per gallon of water of my tank volume. So 20 drops for a 20gl tank.

I would advise you to do a water change before the adding the new ferts of at least 20%.

With ferts a little goes a long way.

Last edited by DogFish; 08-14-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: sp.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

you want me to put 4 grams of my fertilizers that i have to a 4 liters of water and dose 1 drop per gallon ?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Look for frets made to be diluted in water sources are Hydroponic shops and Liquid house plant foods.

I use Atlantis Fish Emulsion 2-4-0 and Dr. Earth's SeaWeed Concentrate 0-0-4.5l.

+1 on hydro shop and seaweed extract. I've never used fish emulsion though. I did try worm tea but could not get a concentration I liked for the staijing effect. Seaweed extract will also stain the water if you use too much. Only buy something that says organic, and avoid sodium based preservatives (read that label).

The fertilizer you are referencing sounds like a foliar spray. Even though it is water soluble, it is not the direction I would go. I think hoppy is right about the phosphate to potassium ratio. I tried to use left over hydro ferts as my interest in hydro was replaced by tanks, but the extra phosphate caused algae and the extra nitrates noticeably reduced fish coloration => stress => early sign of impending disease/death. Fish waste should have plenty of nitrates and phosphates for most. Both can also come from uneaten food. Fish waste is lacking in potassium and some key micros that can cause problems in aquaponics systems (which is what a planted tank essentially is, but with aquatic rather than terrestrial plants).
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 07:19 AM
Planted Member

There was a time dry frets weren't as available as they are now. And I used garden products here and there. (omg I'm gonna get flamed) Down side was when I had to use them you gotta do big water changes like ei. Because you can't be 100 percent sure of the mix like you can with gram measured isolated salts. I used miraclegro 56.4.20 heavily diluted a little each day. then potato fert 2.0.10 part two of week with 2 wc change a week. Really with the price of dry goods and the availability these days its a no brainer. Just order plenty of macros so you don't get hit on shipping often a dollar taday saves 9 tomorrow .I didn't have any major issues the when I tried that for about a year. But if you mix a good balanced set of solutions and tweek the schedule/mix for each of your tanks things will be more stable and wc arent really necessary often. Look up pps I don't use it but its a very simplified method.

Last edited by TheFoleys; 08-22-2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: more to add

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in