Dosing Fertilizer During DSM - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Dosing Fertilizer During DSM

I am in the middle of week 3 on my DSM with HC. I have seem bits of yellow and brown throughout. Someone mentioned I might have nutrient deficiency because I have not dosed fertilizer at all during the first 3 weeks and I am using Eco-Complete as my substrate.

I currently have API Leaf Zone and API CO2 Booster, but I have SeaChem Flourish line of fertilizers coming in the mail.

My question is, how much should I dose during the DSM. I have heard about people overdosing during the DSM and I DON'T want to do that. From those of you have has success with this, how much is safe? Should I wait for the new line of fertilizer to arrive or should I dose with what I got?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
The Eco-Complete should be able to sustain your HC nutrient wise. I'd look more into your humidity levels, is there too much moisture in the tank, etc.

C. Smith
1. Watt [ wot ]: noun -- the SI unit of power, equivalent to one joule per second and equal to the power in a circuit in which a current of one ampere flows across a potential difference of one volt.
2. Per [ pur; unstressed per ]: preposition -- for each; for every.
3. Gallon [ gal-uhn ]: noun -- a common unit of capacity in English-speaking countries, equal to four quarts.
What does this have to do with growing plants?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I thought the same thing. Eco-Complete should be able to provide my HC with all the nutrients it needs, but somebody was saying Eco-Complete goes inert without fertilizers. Also, my Eco-Complete isn't brand new. It's about 3 months old and was used in a previous tank.

I took the water level even lower after another guy mentioned that there may be to much moisture in the tank. I'm just not sure what the deal is. I have always kept the moisture below the substrate level. I misted a lot at first and then decided to stop due to the moisture level possibly being to high.

What I have done is added 3 ml or leave zone and 1ml of CO2 booster to 1 gallon of water. I am going to suck out the water currently in the tank and add this water and see if it makes a difference. I will do one misting at the beginning and watch as see if this helps.

Wish me luck...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
I never dosed in my tank in dsm and did fine. Its tough to know how much to dose while in dry start. I would under dose heavily. Gl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

On second thought, I'm just going to top off the water level with the new water and spray. This will bring my concentration levels of ferts even lower.

I see the HC is rooting nicely.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
even in a regular substrate (sand, gravel, ect) its not the best idea to dose ferts while in a dry start phase, its normal for leaves, especially HC to turn a little yellow and brown, its just converting from submersed to emersed it will go away after a while and you will see new growth, i just had the same issue with one of my tanks, but dosing with ferts is a waste of ferts while in the dry start situation..... just make sure water level is below the substrate surface, you have the tank air tight for humidity, temp is in the right place and mist every other day, patience is the key, too many people cant wait and are afraid its really not as simple as it seems and over complicate the DSM and end up killing their plants, melting them, or hurting them and stunting the growth

some people will use a VERY VERY diluted solution and mist it in the tank, but i dont think that is necessary, just wait till its time to flood, then dose heavily with co2 for the first week, then add ferts after

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetbizquit View Post
even in a regular substrate (sand, gravel, ect) its not the best idea to dose ferts while in a dry start phase, its normal for leaves, especially HC to turn a little yellow and brown, its just converting from submersed to emersed it will go away after a while and you will see new growth, i just had the same issue with one of my tanks, but dosing with ferts is a waste of ferts while in the dry start situation..... just make sure water level is below the substrate surface, you have the tank air tight for humidity, temp is in the right place and mist every other day, patience is the key, too many people cant wait and are afraid its really not as simple as it seems and over complicate the DSM and end up killing their plants, melting them, or hurting them and stunting the growth

some people will use a VERY VERY diluted solution and mist it in the tank, but i dont think that is necessary, just wait till its time to flood, then dose heavily with co2 for the first week, then add ferts after
This man speaks the truth.

C. Smith
1. Watt [ wot ]: noun -- the SI unit of power, equivalent to one joule per second and equal to the power in a circuit in which a current of one ampere flows across a potential difference of one volt.
2. Per [ pur; unstressed per ]: preposition -- for each; for every.
3. Gallon [ gal-uhn ]: noun -- a common unit of capacity in English-speaking countries, equal to four quarts.
What does this have to do with growing plants?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post
This man speaks the truth.
thank you mr. smith

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

Your right! I forgot the number one rule for the dsm ... Patience! Thank you. I just got worried when I saw the HC not doing well.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 06:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have to agree. I've found the more that I leave things alone- the better.

Mist every other day, or every two days... open daily for 15 minutes or so, to provide some o2 and co2 circulation.... otherwise, let it be.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

what really made a difference for me, and i do this now with all my DSM's is the night before i mist (the following day) i poke two holes pen sized and blow in the tank several times, creating more co2 then i tape up the holes and leave it over night, then the next day, open up, air out, and seal again, and do the following two days later....at first i didnt notice much of a difference but i thought "what the hay, i'll do it anyway" and after a few times it seriously made a noticable difference, just check out my 10g rimless dry start journal....

and remember.... PATIENCE IS KEY....

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 12:02 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:

What if I dilute some ferts and supplements with my water and then mist it every two days or so?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 01:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post
The Eco-Complete should be able to sustain your HC nutrient wise. I'd look more into your humidity levels, is there too much moisture in the tank, etc.
eco-complete contains no nutrients by itself, so it's not very "complete"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode