Rain Water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Rain Water

I was wondering what everyone thought of using rain water as a source for tank water. Ive been in this hobby for years and have always wondered about it but was either always afraid to try it or in my old age just forgot about it, but it keeps coming back to me..lol I live in michigan so my thought was by the time a storm system reached me most of the impurites if there are any would be gone..just would like to get some opinions.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using Rain Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetiger61 View Post
I was wondering what everyone thought of using rain water as a source for tank water. Ive been in this hobby for years and have always wondered about it but was either always afraid to try it or in my old age just forgot about it, but it keeps coming back to me..lol I live in michigan so my thought was by the time a storm system reached me most of the impurites if there are any would be gone..just would like to get some opinions.

Rick
Hello Rick...

I think rain water would be fine if you could get enough to use. It would have sulfates in it, so the plants would like it. You wouldn't have to remove all the chemicals the water companies put in our water, so we can drink it.

Unless you keep and breed rare fish that need special treatment, I can't think of a reason not to use it.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

no i just have neon tetras and german blue rams..but they are not for breeding purposes...basically i was just worried about impurities gathered around large industrial area where they have smog.

Rick

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
More of a concern would be how it is collected and stored. Roofing materials can leach lead and zinc, while gutters may be made of copper. Maybe the levels wouldn't be high enough to cause a problem, but it would be something to check.

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i collected it off trees dripping..but i just checked the ph of this stuff and its really high so i probably going to scap this idea

Rick
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetiger61 View Post

Rick
you get enough rain to do that? lol

Will

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on Facebook.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

right now we are getting enough..ive collected 50 gallons so far..but i quit collecting it because of the high ph.

Rick
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use rain water in some of my tanks, with fish that like softer water. Here's a pretty balanced article on the topic:

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/water-softening
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
I use rain water in some of my tanks, with fish that like softer water. Here's a pretty balanced article on the topic:

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/water-softening
thanks for that link..very informative

Rick
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
you get enough rain to do that? lol
Will, you have no idea how much water we can actually collect I left an 18g or so basin outside under the roof line and it was full in one evening session when we had those rains last month. I'm going to be setting up some systems to collect rain water for the outdoor basins and gardens because we get so much at once.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

white tiger, test that water will all the tests you have. Maybe find out what is raising the pH.

Does it rain often enough to keep the leaves clean? Maybe you just have some minerals from dust, if it has not rained recently.

Around here I let it rain a while to wash off the roof before I collect the rain.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I use a 10" x 12" blue plastic tarp running down to a 55gl barrel. I set it up before a rain.

This way I don't have to worry about all the possible toxic run off from my asphalt shingles.

Last edited by DogFish; 08-11-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: sp.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 05:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdude1234 View Post
Will, you have no idea how much water we can actually collect I left an 18g or so basin outside under the roof line and it was full in one evening session when we had those rains last month. I'm going to be setting up some systems to collect rain water for the outdoor basins and gardens because we get so much at once.
yes but thats not even one round of water changes. i can't imagine storing 3 months of water in my tiny apt.

Will

on Facebook.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
yes but thats not even one round of water changes. i can't imagine storing 3 months of water in my tiny apt.
yes it does help to have a house with a 40'x 20' polebarn i use for a fishroom

Rick
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Saddletramp

PTrader: (4/100%)
The solution to collecting the cleanest rain water that you can is to use the simple method that people who collect their water in cisterns use.

Let it rain for about 15 minutes before collecting any rain water. That way the atmosphere and your roof will be as clean as practical.
After that, test the water parameters one day later, after the water "settles".

Bill

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode