Ok bought some of the ferts & a few more questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ok bought some of the ferts & a few more questions

Ok I know this is my 2nd post in 2 days but tomorrow I'm going fert hunting so I just want to see if I've got this right. I've been told that I can find KNO3 and K2SO4 (sold as salpeter) at the pharmacy and that MgSO4 is Epsom Salt. Those I shouldn't have too much trouble with, but what if I can't find KH2PO4? Should I still buy everything else? Is there something else I can use instead? And do I really need the Epsom Salts? I thought that was for GH.

And do these amounts sound ok? I only have an 8 gal moderately planted tank so I doubt it'll be guzzling ferts I worked it out in grams so excuse the uneven conversions. I used Chuck's calculator to determine how much of everything I need for 250 doses each. (About a year and a half worth I think).

KNO3- 0.12 lb
K2SO4- 0.66 lb
KH2PO4- 0.02 lb
MgSO4- 1.19 lb

Phew ok thanks for your input guys!

Last edited by StUk_In_AfRiKa; 06-22-2005 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

You can use Fleet enema instead of KH2PO4. What is your source of trace elements, or do you plan on using one?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Is Fleet the brand name or is that a type of enema? I'm not totally sure what I'll use for traces yet. I posted about a trace mix that some people in SA use but it's pretty high in copper. The others have had success with it and Tom Barr and some others also said positive things about it so I might end up using that. It has less cu than Microplex (which I guess is also used successfuly).

Yes! I snuggle with rats!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Fleet is a brand of enema, other brands probably work as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 11:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Shalu is correct. I use a "generic" form of sodium phosphates enema. Here is a link to a thread where I did some annoying math:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ighlight=fleet

Sodium phosphates enema is commonly used in hospitals and to a lesser extent in the community; I would think you should be able to find a source for it. There is also the less commonly used "oral" Fleet, or "Phospho Soda", which may contain flavouring agents and may contain a different concentration of phosphates. Get the enema.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

OK one last question. The garden center might also have monopotassium phosphate so is one better than the other or are they the same quality/concentration?

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh and jart I book marked that thread you gave me just in case I end up getting the enema Nice work there...

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 11:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
actually the monopotassium phosphate is KH2PO4, better than enema, more bang for the buck, and the potassium in it is also a macro nutrient, unlike sodium. 1lb will last ages for you.

Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 12:37 AM

Wardly sodium biphosphate

You can also use a pH reducing product made by Wardley, Sodium Biphosphate.

Mix 120 ml water to 1 teaspoon sodium biphosphate for 1 ppm/ml dosed/10 gallons water. This may be available from fish stores, here I get it from BigAl'sOnline.com for $1.29 for a small jar, or something like that. The jar has maybe 3 oz., ought to last me a few years.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 02:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

I was actually waiting for someone else to answer the question as I did not know if I would do the calculation correctly. I found the phosphate conversions a little confusing myself, but when someone puts things in clear terms (as did Anonapersona) it is very helpful indeed.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well I went to 3 different pharmacies today and bought the KNO3 (but they called it Salpeter which I thought was supposed to be K2SO4) and Epsom Salts. They only had enemas with sodium phospate and I wasn't sure if that was ok so I didn't buy it. I'm going to check out some garden centers and see if I can find K2SO4 and KH2PO4 there. But if not then the sodium phosphate enema is ok? But I would have to dose more potassium then? Oh and on the box the KNO3 and MgSO4 both have B.P. at the end... this is ok right? I have no clue what it stands for and I just want to make sure that everything is exactly what it's supposed to be

Edit: Oh and I forgot to ask about the KNO3. My java fern is showing N deficiency and I'm wondering if I can add the KNO3 without everything else on the list or will it just boost algae growth even more? Hopefully I'll have everything else by the weekend.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 07:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

You need a source of phosphate, regardless if it is the K or Na salt. Pick up the enema and let us know what exactly is in it and we can guide you from there. Or else pick up the stuff that Anona referred to.

KNO3 is indeed saltpeter.

Currently I rely only on KNO3 for my potassium dosing. I don't add extra K. I suppose you could add a "pure" source of water softener salt, KCl, if you wanted to try another source of K. I am watching my plants to see if they show signs of deficiency before I add extra K.

As far as BP goes, don't worry about it. It stands for British Pharmacopeia, which means the product meets the standards referred to in this book (much the same as if you bought a chemical and it was followed by USP, NF, etc).
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 09:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Most all fish food contains phosphate. If you increase your fish stock and feeding levels, phosphate and nitrate dosing will be unnecessary.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok thanks jart... you put my mind at ease I'll go to the garden center and if they don't have it I'll get the enema. I'm actually quite excited about this. The KNO3 and MgSO4 cost me only $2 for the amount I said in the 1st post... not bad. And hopefully this will help me get a handle on that pesky algae at last!! And right now I only have 2 gups (I'm waiting for the fry to get big enough to move into the main tank) so I'm sure NO3 is quite low.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode