PTrader: (0/0%)
fertilizing water column roots too?

if i fertilize the water column do i need to fertilize the roots too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

well do you have a nutrient rich substrate? some plants take up nutrients from the water column and others the substrate.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedodge View Post
if i fertilize the water column do i need to fertilize the roots too
Not necessarily. Some plants prefer root based ferts(swords, crypts, etc) and some prefer water column ferts(stems). The plants will take the ferts they need from where ever they can if it is absent from their preferred method(crypts will take the column ferts if it is growing in an inert sub). That being said, it is probably best to have both, column ferts and substrate ferts, to make sure all plants are getting what they need. If anything, put a few root tabs at the very least under your heavy root feeders if you have an inert substrate. Then dose the water column and you should have everything covered as far as fertilizing is concerned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mr. Aqua 11.4 g...coming soon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrfreak_tung View Post
well do you have a nutrient rich substrate? some plants take up nutrients from the water column and others the substrate.
all aquatic plants are foliar feeders. they may take up more nutrients through roots if available. but they can all sustain themselves through their leaf system

Sump Pimp #7

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i have flourite and a bit of gravel, i am dosing dry ferts into the water column will this feed the roots or just the leaves
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
The nutrients you dose will feed the plants through the leaves. Some of the nutrients will be absorbed by the Fluorite as it has some CEC [micropores] and plant roots will grow into those pores and extract the nutrients later.

Most aquatics with heavy root systems need them to anchor the plant rather than absorb nutrients like land based plants but they are functioning roots that will absorb nutrients.

Experiment. Put a root tab under one crypt and not another. Which grows faster and better?

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Experiment. Put a root tab under one crypt and not another. Which grows faster and better?
the only way this is a fair control. is if nutrients are dosed in the water column in sufficient amount.

but they should grow the same. assuming lighting and c02 reach them the same

Sump Pimp #7

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
How does that work exactly? What happens if I grow a crypt emersed for instance?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Plants produce different kinds of leaves when they grow emersed.
In the water plant leaves can be pretty 'leaky'. Water and nutrients enter the leaves pretty easily.

In air plant leaves need to not lose water so fast, so they often have more protection. They can still take in nutrients and water both ways (roots and leaves).
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Is there any reason to assume that if I grow same crypt in the same substrate I need to dose the water column?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
Is there any reason to assume that if I grow same crypt in the same substrate I need to dose the water column?
If you do not plan on dosing, plants will still grow as long as the nutrients(from fish waste) are able to support your level of lighting. High light and no ferts will result in stunted plants and algae. Plants grow just fine in low light, no fert, no co2 tanks. Just take a look at he low tech forum and theres a bunch of great looking tanks. The key is to find a balance in which nutrients will support plant growth in regards to how fast your light is driving the plants.

Mr. Aqua 11.4 g...coming soon

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Just worry about all the levels of fertilizer in the system, not whether the ferts are in the soil or the water column. If you are worried, then put some slow release fertilizer in the substrate and dose the water column.

There is usually enough movement of the water through the substrate that whatever ferts are in the water are also available to the roots.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode