Fert dosing help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fert dosing help

I got no response on my last thread so I'll try again. I have a ten gallon tank with about 20 Italian vals,water wisteria,and some Marmio moss balls. My wife has the same in her tank and hers are nice and green and producing more. In my tank the plants have a yellow tint and I see no reproduction. I use flourish and flourish root tabs for my sword I forgot to mention.can anyone give me suggestions on a different fert or dosage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The need for fertilizers is driven by how much light you have. You have a 10 gallon tank, but what light do you use, one T8 bulb, 2 CFL bulbs, etc?

Hoppy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Currently, you are only dosing a small part of the fertilizers plants need. To understand what you're dosing, it's best to first understand all the ferts plants need. Then you can see what you're dosing and what you're not dosing.

There are two basic categories of ferts: Macros and Micros. Each category has different elements.

Macros:
P (phosphorus)
K (potassium)
N (nitrogen)

Micros:
several elements in trace amounts
Fe (iron)

If you want to use the Seachem line of ferts, here's how they match up:

Macros:
N (nitrogen) — Flourish Nitrogen
P (phosphorus) — Flourish Phosphorus
K (potassium) — Flourish Potassium

Micros:
several elements in trace amounts — Flourish Comprehensive
Fe (iron) — Flourish Iron

As you can see, you're only dosing the micros without the iron. If you want to dose all the ferts, you need to also dose Flourish Iron to complete the micros and then dose Flourish Phosphorus, Flourish Potassium, and Flourish Nitrogen to complete the macros.

Many people prefer to use dry ferts because they are so easy and much cheaper than liquid ferts. They are the same thing as the Seachem ferts without the water. If you go with dry ferts, here's how they match up:

Macros:
N (nitrogen) — Potassium Nitrate (KNO3)
P (phosphorus) — Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4)
K (potassium) — Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4)

Micros:
several elements in trace amounts — Plantex CSM + B
Fe (iron) — already included

Here's one source where you can get the dry ferts. This package would last most people 1-2 years, depending on the size of your tank. For a 10g tank, these ferts would last you several years. http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquari...rtilizers.html. Dry ferts can be put in the tank while still dry, but if you'd prefer to mix them with water first, you can. In that case, the dosing bottles are usually popular. http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquari...nser-16oz.html

You don't have to dose ferts to your tank. I dose ferts only to some of my tanks while not dosing them to others. But if you're not happy with the plant growth you have now, even after trying root tabs, then this may be the right choice for you.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks guys for the replys and the question about my lighting I use two 10 watt cfls 6500k

Last edited by Stump26; 08-05-2012 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Spelling

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode