Cheapest Way To Use Prime!!! I got your answer - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cheapest Way To Use Prime!!! I got your answer

So i've been using Prime here recently and i really like how it works. No issues at all and the fish seem healthy and happy. However, it is expensive!! I only have Petsmart locally and have to order almost everything. I ran into a couple of articles and some youtube videos and gave POND PRIME a go. It is exactly the same except it is more concentrated. It's also made by Seachem. On Prime a capfull does 50G and in Pond Prime a capfull does 100G. But other than that it is the same thing. The big difference is the price. A bottle of seachem prime can do up to 1000 gallons in a 100ml bottle for roughly $14 at petsmart where as a 2L of pond prime does up to 45,000 gallons for under $30 on Dr.fosters and smith. I've provided a pic showing the current sales price. Please correct me if i'm wrong but it seems to be exaclty the same product but with different concentrations. So far it has worked just fine for me too! Hopefully this helps you guys and gals save some money in these tight times. Take care. ((SCROLL DOWN, WIZZA HAS CLEARED SOME THINGS UP, USE SAME DOSE AS AQUARIUM PRIME!)) follow link to seachem, it will clear it up.

http://www.seachem.com/support/forum...read.php?t=319

Last edited by aquatickid; 08-05-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: wrong information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Score!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Algae Grower

I find alot of times, that the pond versions of chemicals are MUCH cheaper . Alot of my fish meds are pond versions.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Algae Grower

Hi,

I've actually looked into this myself.

You may think it's more concentrated (it even makes you believe it is on the label) but it's not.
You have to dose it the same amount as regular prime.

Pond prime relies and assumes that the water you are dosing is a large open area with lots of water movement. I.e a pond. So the chlorine etc, disperses easier anyway.

So a closed system such as an aquarium it won't be as efficient.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I use Clear Pond's Chloramine Buster. Same concept: The pond version of products are often more concentrated, and more economical.
Be sure to very carefully figure out the dosage. I use an eye dropper to measure Chloramine Buster. 1 pint treats about 8,000 gallons.

In pricing it, compared to the aquarium version of Prime, they are about the same price per gallon of treated water. Either of these are about the most economical you can get unless you are a hatchery or breeder running thousands of gallons. They you could buy the powder that properly deals with chloramine. (Cheaper powders deal with chlorine) If an ordinary hobbyist bought it in that form and the large size you need to get it the cheapest you would have a lifetime supply.
Maybe a good group buy among an aquarium club, though.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Seacham Safe treats up to 200 000 gals for 1kg of dry product! Score!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That add for Dr F&S:
that bottle treats "Over 40,000 gallons" and costs $28.00 or .007 dollars for 10 gallons of treated water. (Call it under a penny per 10 gallons)
Current on line price for Chloramine Buster (not including shipping): One 32 oz bottle treats 16,000 gallons and cost $18.00 or .01125 dollars for 10 gallons of treated water. (This is just over a penny for 10 gallons) or 64,000 gallons can be treated for $60.00 = .009 dollars per 10 gallons, or just under a penny per 10 gallons. (And Chloramine Buster does not smell like Prime)
Aquarium Prime at DrsF&F 20,000 gallons for $45. = .0225 dollars per 10 gallons, or a bit over 2 cents per 10 gallons of treated water.

http://clearpond.com/Merchant2/merch...ory_Code=CBUST

Recap:
Pond Prime = .7 cents per 10 gallons
Aquarium Prime = 2.25 cents per 10 gallons
Chloramine buster (quart) = 1.25 cent per 10 gallons
Chloramine Buster (gallon) = .9 cents per 10 gallons
Amquel Plus (gallon) = 4.4 cents per 10 gallons
(All these prices do not include shipping)

Note again the pond sized bottles are good for large volumes of water. If you have just a couple of Nano tanks, you are probably not going to want to pay $50 or $60 dollars for a lifetime supply of dechlor, when you can get Aquarium Prime in smaller (easier to store) bottles. It is still the most cost effective product, even when you get away from the 'large economy' size.

If you want a laugh at how packaging rules look at the tiny bottles for Betta keepers. One of those (priced at Pet Smart) treats only 16 gallons of water and costs $4.00 (that is $2.50 for 10 gallons of treated water! but it also includes a bit of fish food in the package) Another one comes out to 50 cents per 10 gallons (Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner, in a 2 oz bottle treats 60 gallons, costs $3.00) Another is Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus. Dosing is 5 ml per gallon, and comes out to almost $2 per 10 gallons of treated water.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Algae Grower

But don't forget you have to treat your aquarium water with the standard prime dosing and not the pond prime dosing.

So 2l does 20'000 gallons.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Seachem Safe, dosed for Chloramine (read the details at Seachem site): .0013 dollars per 10 gallons, or 1.3 cents per 10 gallons of treated water. (Pricing found at Amazon)
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizza View Post
But don't forget you have to treat your aquarium water with the standard prime dosing and not the pond prime dosing.

So 2l does 20'000 gallons.
is there any links or info to support this? just curious, I mean water volume is water volume

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I did not see this at Seachem site. It does not address using the Pond product for aquariums at the page devoted to that product. Are these instructions elsewhere?

I am not dosing aquariums. I am dosing prep water in barrels. Does it matter if I then dump the water in my pond or use it to fill the aquariums? I am trying to split the chlorine-ammonia bond then lock up the chlorine and ammonia. Doesn't that depend on the amount of chloramine in the water? The instructions at Seachem web site specify how much of the product will deal with how much chloramine. That is the dosing instructions I would use.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Algae Grower

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool, thanks Wizza!! As per Seachem support itself. use the same dose for pond prime as regular aquarium prime. I've been cutting it back a bit and my water peramiters are good, but i probably have good quality water coming in? Not sure but i'm gonna up it to a regular dose just to be safe. I should have thought of looking it up on the Seachem website. Thanks Wizza.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Algae Grower

I think what it is pond prime relies on nature to help with the chlorine side of things (large open area of water)
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizza View Post
I think what it is pond prime relies on nature to help with the chlorine side of things (large open area of water)
Yeah, makes sense if your sit down and think about it. Either way, it's hella cheaper in the long run.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode