Is there anything in Prime that's bad for my cat? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Is there anything in Prime that's bad for my cat?

He loves dechlorinated water... and beer for some reason..

but, is there anything in Prime that will harm my cat? He's been drinking out of my w/c buckets for a while now... and he's not dead yet but some times, i swear he's trying to push his luck...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Cats probably do best with water straight from the toilet, their preferred source. But, I doubt that Prime treated water would be overly harmful. Beer? What brand?

Hoppy
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 03:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lol I know it sounds mean but pull one of his paws out so he falls in face first, may not trust you for a bit, but will not go near the bucket

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman420 View Post
Lol I know it sounds mean but pull one of his paws out so he falls in face first, may not trust you for a bit, but will not go near the bucket
been there, done that.. he liked to drink out of the turtle tub for a while... kept dunking him swirly style, had to move the tank for both of their safet(ies?) <== bad grammar?

but hes a strange character... he pees in the shower sometimes too... and he does drink from the toilet...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 04:47 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
My fish drink water with prime they are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Bwahahaha! Never like cats much but one that drinks beer can't be all bad!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 04:58 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
My cats think the tanks in the house are their water dishes. It doesn't matter that I do my best to stop them by using lids and canopies on the tanks, they still find a way to drink the water. I've decided they must like the extra "fish flavoring" or something.

I don't think there's anything in Prime that can harm cats. Cats have a natural attraction to drinking aquarium water so if there was anything in Prime that harmed cats, it would be known by now.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

My dogs drink out of the sumps most of the time, and I use several different dechlors, including Prime. They will drink the newly prepared water, too, and that has the freshest dose of dechlor.
I sometimes wonder about their mental abilities, but they are alive and well.

Nice pics of the cat! They are quite interesting critters, with a mind of their own.

Anyway, if you want to stop it you would probably have to put a secure lid over the bucket.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 05:07 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Ah, why stop the happy cat? He's just getting a drink. I've also figured out that there's nothing in the cat's drinking of the water that's bad for the tank's inhabitants. I've decided it's just a nice way of letting my cats enjoy my aquarium hobby.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 05:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
I've often wondered if it would better for my cats to have dechlorinated water instead of straight tap.. If prime is fine for everyone, I may just add that to my cats water or just switch to RO. Anything I can do to make their lives better is my goal.

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for sharing, everyone. I asked because you just never know... You wouldn't wash your cat or dog with Pantene Pro-V right? Some things have unforeseen consequences, like measuring out glut doses above a tank...
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 06:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Both of my cats have been drinking from my ten gal shrimp/cpo tank ever since they broke the glass cover I'm to lazy to replace

Will

on Facebook.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 06:31 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
I've often wondered if it would better for my cats to have dechlorinated water instead of straight tap.. If prime is fine for everyone, I may just add that to my cats water or just switch to RO. Anything I can do to make their lives better is my goal.

Why don't you just give your cat some of the bottled water (RO) that you drink yourself? We have two cats as well and we give them bottled water. Prime is surely fish friendly and it MIGHT also be harmless to cats but why take an unnecessary chance? Cheers :O)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 07:58 AM
Algae Grower

My ferret likes to snorkel in the tank, hasn't hurt him yet.

Glad I don't have 'bitey' fish any more tho...

~Kelli
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelli View Post
my ferret likes to snorkel in the tank, hasn't hurt him yet.

Glad i don't have 'bitey' fish any more tho...

~kelli

omg pic!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode