easy dosage chart request - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
easy dosage chart request

I know this has already been discussed at length.

If part of the goal of this topic is to provide a “beginners guide to dosing” then how about this? With the beginner in mind, it seems like Seachem ferts would be ideal if they only cost the same as the dry chemicals. It sounds like pouring a capful out of the bottle is such an easy way to dose. (I have been using this method myself). Could someone here construct a dosage conversion table that would take each dry chemical and tell how many tsp, tbs, pinches, or dashes are needed per 250ml bottle of water be it tap, ro, or distilled. Then just measure out the correct amount of K2SO4, NO3 or whatever and add to the 250 ml of water. You would just need a suitable bottle much like the one Seachem makes. You would need to include the dosage per gal. Ideally a dosage that would equal about 1 capful (5ml) to 50 gal. This seems like a convenient dosage to use. Then essentially you are making your own Seachem ferts using dry chemicals. Can this be done? It can’t be done by me but maybe someone here knows how?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Let me simplify the above message. How many tsp, pinch, etc. of each dry chemical would it take to be added to 250ml water to get a dosage of about 5ml per 50 gal.

I think thats better.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I have something like what you request. But not quite. See http://rexgrigg.com/dosing.htm

For a 50 gallon tank it's better to dose KNO3 and K2SO4 dry.

I don't think you can even make a K2SO4 solution that would do what you wish.

And to give you hard numbers.....

1.5 grams or ~Ľ teaspoon of KNO3 will give you 4.8 ppm of nitrates in 50 gallons of water.

2 grams or ~1/3 teaspoon of K2SO4 will give you 4.75 ppm of potassium.

Chuck Gadd's calculator is a great tool.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Hey Rex

I have looked at your site lots. In fact bookmarked it probably a year ago. I must have missed the info. But let me ask you if its that simple.... why are people generally going crazy over the issue? All the dialog on this forum... I just don't get it. But then I'm kinda simple when you get right down to it.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
This is my dosing tables that gives recipes for making stock solutions with dry chem ferts. You need Excel to use it.

Basically, you enter in the size of your tank in the appropriate cell (in the top right) and it calculates the ml dose needed for each ppm increase out to 10ppm.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Dosing Chart.zip (4.8 KB, 81 views)

—Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 02:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Here's Seachem's chart, pulled right off their site:

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

I can see that I am not a particularly gifted writer.... I was asking for a chart that would tell you how to mix your own equivalents of the Seachem line using Greg Watson ferts.

So for example you could say ....... mix 2.5 tsp of KNO3 with 250ml of water which gives you a solution that can be dosed 1 capful (5ml) per 50 gallons 3x a week just like the seachem line. Then you could buy the ferts from Greg and mix your own bottles and dose exactly the same as if you were using ferts from Seachem.

No muss no fuss.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Bill

I looked at your chart and that is generally what I had in mind. I could probably deal with it. Can that chart be converted into tbs, tsp, etc. rather than grams (I assume that is what the g stands for). And I am not suggesting that you take the time to do the conversion. Some people including myself don't have those kind of scales. I know I can buy them, and weigh the chemicals out but tsp, tbs, etc. would be much easier.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Do you have Excel to open up the spreadsheet I uploaded? It essentially does what you're asking.

Here are even simpler mixes for easy mental calcs:
NO3
15g KNO3 + 250ml H2O: Dose 1ml to raise 10g of water 1 ppm
PO4
1.4g KH2PO4 + 250ml H2O: Dose 1ml to raise 10g of water .1 ppm
K
22g K2SO4 + 250ml H2O: Dose 1ml to raise 10g of water 1 ppm

—Bill

|
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The above translates to:

KNO3: 15g = ~2 2/3 tsp
KH2PO4: 1.4g = ~1/3 tsp
K2SO4: 22g = ~3 2/3 tsp

Not as easy to accurately measure in tsp.

—Bill

|
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

By George I think he's got it!

Yes I used Excel to view your chart. Very nice by the way.

Thats what I was lookin for. Now just out of curiosity..... if these dry ferts can be converted to tsp just like that, and mixed and dosed easily out of your own personally mixed bottles, why all the confusion over the dosing issue. It just doesn't seem to warrant so much airplay ... does it? Or am I missing some basic point....... wouldn't surprise me a bit if I were.

Thanks too!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't know what causes all the confusion. For me, creatig the tables was a matter of being able to tweak my dosing without always having to go back to the dosing calcs to figure out what the new dry dose would be. I guess it's the tech/geek side of me that wanted a little more control than pinches of this and smidgens of that. That and I have a lot of dosing syringes and cups (leftovers from my kids' various medications) that make measuring in ml easy.

—Bill

|
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Well I knew there was a good reason to have kids. Now if I could only find their childhood syringes.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I bought a kit at Wal-Mart. It had a dosing syringe and rubber bottle stopper (along with a spoon). The stopper is nice in that it hole in it that you stick the syringe into for filling. It should be either near where the kid's medicines are.

—Bill

|
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Hey Bill, I'm still a Seachem fert weenie, and plan to be one until I get my new tank firmly established - it's the sticking to what you know how to be successful with strategy. But I don't plan on staying that way, just want to get it up and thriving before making a switch to dry.

But when I make the switch I'm sure this little spreadsheet will come in real handy! Thanks!

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode