Waterchanges & Temperature - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Martin
Waterchanges & Temperature

hi there

am wondering what effects temperature have on fish, when doing waterchanges?
Must I adjust temperature of water going into tank, or can I add tapwater directly? from the cold tap...?

It seems that there is a difference in opinion..at least the places i've seen.......

any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I just get the water close. I aim for a temperature change of somewhere less than 5-6° F. Unless I want the Corys to spawn then I try and bring the tank temp down from the normal 74-76° to somewhere around 65°.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
So now that I have a larger tank, I'm thinking about making life easier with my water changes and I'm wondering about temps as well. If I get a Python do I adjust temp from the taps to get it closer to tank temp? I don't feel comfortable with a 50% water change straight from the cold tap. My cold water is cold. Is it okay to use the hot water tap to get temps close. I'm always wondering about unknowns from the hot water tank being introduced but, man, I'd like to get a Python and make life easier.

Pimpin' the Eheim at #153

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I use a mix of hot water and cold water from the tap. In winter time my cold water temperature can be around 40° F.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 10:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I also mix hot and cold tap water. I can get the temp close to tank water temp, within couple of degrees after 50% water change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 11:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

i was experimenting today with temp's going through my python siphon and not knowing what it was, except by feel.

just shove a Coralife (or similar brand) thermometer's probe up into the tubing, and you can monitor the exact temp going through it. Worked like a charm.

hopefully this helps you if you want to set something up similar:

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I Use it straight from the tap but slowly it take's nearly 1-1.5 hour's to fill my 550 liter at 50% WC.
My tap water sit's between 18- 24 deg/Celcius.
I got an outbreak of white spot when i changed the water in under fifteen minutes.

You can always add but never take.

Aussie Style
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

the problem is that I've always been told that, here in Denmark anyway, we DO NOT use water from the tap because of metals & other bacteria from the hotwater tank. We have no added chloramine or similar...

Is this a talltale or is it something native to Denmark?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sounds like a tall tale to me. Leeching metals maybe. Bacteria? If so you have more problems than adding that water to your fish tank.

How are you supposed to treat/prep the water?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Sounds like a tall tale to me. Leeching metals maybe. Bacteria? If so you have more problems than adding that water to your fish tank.

How are you supposed to treat/prep the water?

supposed ..well... usually, i've just filled a 10Litre bucket, with approx 8L of cold, and then boiled 1-2 litres, and mixed em in the bucket... that's how I usually do waterchanges...but changing 165L of water like that is kindda ....well... you try it every week...

just strange that it's such a strong manifest here in Denmark..... it might just be leeching metals.... but can they not be harmful?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Well what are the pipes in your house made from? Lead? Copper? Iron? What are the supply system pipes made from?

The key is to flush the hot water line before you start to fill the tank.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 12:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich
It's not really the pipes that concern me, but the tank itself. I don't think there'd be actual bacteria growing in it (it's chlorinated and quite hot), but it's known that hot water tanks collect a lot of mineral deposits. I've tested water from both the hot and cold taps for TDS, and the water from the hot was indeed higher. I've always heard not to drink from the hot water tank due to this reasoning.

P.S.
I let both the hot and cold samples reach room temperature, and my TDS meter has temperature correction for any remaining differences.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode