Dosing regimen for initial setup???? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dosing regimen for initial setup????

So, the tank was assembled. The submerged raised plants were planted. The co2 will be added tomorrow. And the dosing.......?

I've done some looking around, and I've found little on "day one" or "week one" dosing regimen, and whatever I did find, conflicts with each other.

Some sources say that I should hold off on adding ferts the first two weeks to help stave off algae blooms, do 50% water change at day 3, 7 of first week, and start adding shrimp and snails day 3.

Others say to start heavy and right into the dosing regimen, do daily 50% water changes, and add shrimp and snails on week 4 (or when cycled).

What do you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

No one?

Regards,

Cento

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PIMP #427 - 2 x 2213, 1 x 2206, 1 x Surface Extractor
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I dose straight away now as each time I tear down and replant the tank is full of plants. When I was building the plant density I dosed at half EI as I don't have a nutritious substrate. If you are using Aqua Soil or some other earth based substrate that contains lots of nitrogen and phosphorus you may need to dose potassium only and follow directions for use which involves daily water changes for a while.

Since I plant heavily and have a substrate that doesn't leach ammonia I start stocking the tank right away, one group of animals at a time. A big planted tank stocked at maybe 10% capacity will develop a good biological filter without poisoning the critters. First in is the scrubbers, nice fat otos, and I hope there are lots of snail eggs on the plants, I love snails. I would put in my pickers next, platies currently. Shrimp are great pickers too but I don't use them often.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

MOP* Nano

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
I dose straight away now as each time I tear down and replant the tank is full of plants. When I was building the plant density I dosed at half EI as I don't have a nutritious substrate. If you are using Aqua Soil or some other earth based substrate that contains lots of nitrogen and phosphorus you may need to dose potassium only and follow directions for use which involves daily water changes for a while.

Since I plant heavily and have a substrate that doesn't leach ammonia I start stocking the tank right away, one group of animals at a time. A big planted tank stocked at maybe 10% capacity will develop a good biological filter without poisoning the critters. First in is the scrubbers, nice fat otos, and I hope there are lots of snail eggs on the plants, I love snails. I would put in my pickers next, platies currently. Shrimp are great pickers too but I don't use them often.
Thanks for the reply Kathy!

A quick detail rundown: The tank is a small 9.5 gal with enriched substrate (Netlea - Lambo), an Eheim 2213, 2 x 18T5HO bulbs, and pressurized CO2. The plants are a HC carpet, tonina fluv. Manus, and lilaeopsis Mauritiana.

I guess I should start testing for ammonia, but I was confused a out weather it was safe to put in animals at this point (in my case, horned nerites, Amanos, and ottos).

So, the idea is to slowly build up the bacteria? With the "slow and steady" method, will there be ammonia spikes?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I googled your substrate and it is apparently a soil based one. It may be leaching ammonia, test the water. There is a specific method of establishing a tank with this sort of substrate, look at this thread and others by Frank as well.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=168992

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I didn't see what soil your using, but I am using ADA Amazonia II and let me tell you, it leaches Ammonia like wow. If your using this substrate, plant heavy heavy right from the start before the Ammonia takes over and you end up with algae problems, like in my case a really bad case of Volvox(green water). It was so green, the light wasn't penetrating the water at all and the plants suffered quite a bit. I would plant as much as you can afford to plant while the water is clear. You need some fast growing plants in there to suck up that Ammonia. I wouldn't get shrimp or livestock until you get your co2 and your Ammonia handled. Once your plants are starting to grow fast and you get your ammonia down to nothing, then add your livestock. Also make sure when you add your livestock, you pay attention to the ph of the water in your tank in relation to your LFS ph. With pressurized co2 in the tank, chances are the ph in the water in your tank will be quite a bit lower than the ph in your dealers tanks. I add livestock after a water change so I know the ph is closer to the water from my LFS, then when I turn my co2 back on, they get used to the ph drop slowly. The ADA substrate surprised me. I had what I thought was a lot of plants planted in mine from the start, but didn't think about the growth rate of the plants. Since all the plants I planted were slower growing, the ammonia just went up and stayed there. Nothing I could do would lower it. Even after a 90 percent water change, the ammonia readings were the same, off the charts. I even took a sample to the LFS to make sure it was right and not a bad test kit.....Just be careful and plant HEAVY right out of the gate. Once you get that co2 dialed in, your plants hopefully grow fast, otherwise yes, algae will start to move in. Good luck. By the way. I started with full EI dosing from the start. I ended up cutting back to fertilizing twice a week and limiting light until the Volvox went away. I was also cutting off the co2 at night and ended up with a narly outbreak of BBA. I now have my co2 on 24/7 and it's going away, but really slowly.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradleoffilthfan View Post
I didn't see what soil your using, but I am using ADA Amazonia II and let me tell you, it leaches Ammonia like wow. If your using this substrate, plant heavy heavy right from the start .......

I add livestock after a water change so I know the ph is closer to the water from my LFS, then when I turn my co2 back on, they get used to the ph drop slowly. .....

I started with full EI dosing from the start. I ended up cutting back to fertilizing twice a week and limiting light until the Volvox went away. I was also cutting off the co2 at night and ended up with a narly outbreak of BBA. I now have my co2 on 24/7 and it's going away, but really slowly.
I was told that the Netlea Lambo releases far less ammonia then ADA. I'm going to get some "mulm" or "crud" from a friends well established tank and dump it I to my tank. The plants haven't been there for long (6 days), but they've already started growing.

I do 30% water changes daily and my co2 is on 24/7. The light period is only 7 hrs for now. And I'm only dosing potassium right now. Also using several products that claim to increase bacteria growth and reduces the chances of NTS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Regards,

Cento

PIMP #427 - 2 x 2213, 1 x 2206, 1 x Surface Extractor

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode