Water gone wild, don't know why! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Water gone wild, don't know why!

Hey Planted tank!

Well the last month and a half have been a bit crazy for me, and I haven't been able to do my tank maintenance as usual, and while getting my R/O water ready to do water changes I tested all of my tanks, and got some very STRANGE readings in my 55g!!!

To start off I mineralize my r/o water to a gh of 4d and a kh of 2d with equilibrium and baking soda and dose light EI for my 55g.

Before I left in early august for a 2 week trip I changed 50% of the water on all of my tanks as usual. I noticed my Co2 tank was almost out on the 55, and my wife doesn't like to dose ferts., so I slowed it WAY DOWN to wean the plants and fish to low CO2 so when it ran out while I was gone they wouldn't get a shock. That seemed to work out, as when the tank ran out the fish and plants did OK and I didn't loose any fish, but the plants have gotten Green string algae on some of them but not too bad!

Anyway when I tested the 10g tank water I got what I ok numbers, except a high Gh, without changing any water in a month and a half which was:

Ph: 6.8
Kh: less than 2
Gh: 12
No3: 5-10ppm
Po4: less than 0.1ppm
Nh3/4: 0
No2: 0

In the 55g the Ph, Kh, and Gh are all over the place!

Ph: 8.0
Kh: 6
Gh: 7
No3: 5ppm
Po4: 0
Nh3/4: 0
No2: 0

The tap water at the time of starting my R/O Unit ( letting tap water sit over nite before testing):

Ph: 8.4
Kh: 20
Gh: 2
No3: less than 5ppm

After going threw R/O Filter:

Ph: 7.0
Kh: 1-2
Gh: changed with 1 drop
No3: 0

SO ANYWAY, what has got me baffled is how does the 55g water gain Ph, Kh, and Gh, and the 10g only gain Gh when they have EXACTLY THE SAME SUBSTRATE, 1pc of Lace Rock, plants, and use the same water???????

They are fed the same food as well.

The ONLY difference in anything is that the 55g has 2 Fluval 205 on it with the "Bio-Rings" in the top/last media chamber, and the 10g is a undergravel! The substrate in both is mostly Fluorite with a little plain natural aquarium gravel mixed in for looks. The "Bio-Rings" are supposed to be ceramic, but I will check that out on the Fluval site.

Nothing has been added in either tank except topoff R/O water! NO ferts of any kind!!!

So if any body can shed some light for me on why the 55g is so far out of whack and values are climbing not falling I would be in your debt!!!!!

Thanks for reading!!!
Drew

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode