checked my water parameters today? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
checked my water parameters today?

i checked my water parameters today.
i initially had goldfish and now i returned them and with no plants now..all ate up..

but i did change water 50% three days ago and yesterday again i change about 15%...
now readings as below:

ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
ph: 7.2
nitrate:10ppm
phosphate: 10ppm.

now i'm deciding to add plants first before the fish....since i've 10ppm phosphorus/nitrate, i'm bit worried about phosphorus side....
what would be best option to reduce phosphorus before i add plants.....

would it be better i add plants at least half the tank at first and after few weeks i can fish. i'm planning for small fish no more than 2inch at max about 6-8 in school.

any suggestion greatly appreciated.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
um just add the plants and let them use posphorous, add nitrates accordingly

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
It would be best if you filled the tank full of plants and let them grow. Add fast growing stems to get the tank started.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
It would be best if you filled the tank full of plants and let them grow. Add fast growing stems to get the tank started.
do you think half the tank filled would be good enouh?
i'm thinking to buy this week...

what would be the fastest growing plants you can recommend for my settings...
low light, excel dose & ferts.

should i grow plants first then add fish or same time ...

thanks

Last edited by fern09; 07-19-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: missed
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
valls, wisteria, swords. all grow fairly quickly

vals don't like excel much though

Sump Pimp #7

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
valls, wisteria, swords. all grow fairly quickly

vals don't like excel much though
thanks much.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fern09 View Post
do you think half the tank filled would be good enouh?
The more plants, the better, but it's up to you. The concern is to fend off algae. A tank full of growing plants is less prone to algae than a tank half full of plants.

Quote:
what would be the fastest growing plants you can recommend for my settings...
low light, excel dose & ferts.
Off hand, I think hygrophilias and ludwigias are usually fast growing. Take a look through the Plant Profiles (tab at top of page) and look for the kind that don't need bright light (ones marked medium light should be fine). Stay away from Vals, Hornwort, and Anacharis since Excel can kill them.

Quote:
should i grow plants first then add fish or same time ...
It doesn't matter. Add plants whenever you want. Add fish anytime after your tank is cycled.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
The more plants, the better, but it's up to you. The concern is to fend off algae. A tank full of growing plants is less prone to algae than a tank half full of plants.

Off hand, I think hygrophilias and ludwigias are usually fast growing. Take a look through the Plant Profiles (tab at top of page) and look for the kind that don't need bright light (ones marked medium light should be fine). Stay away from Vals, Hornwort, and Anacharis since Excel can kill them.

It doesn't matter. Add plants whenever you want. Add fish anytime after your tank is cycled.
good info. thanks for sharing....
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hi all,
yes i did added some fast growing plants.
about 80% of my tank is filled up now.

2 days after i added plants i checked my water parameters.
my nitrates and phosphates are still same 10ppm.

how long should i wait to see if the plants can take those.....

or should i dose ferts....

i'vn't dosed anything for 3 days including today except excel.....

my plants,
crypts, hygro, dwarf sags. ludwigia
duckweed.

glad to hear.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
please provide full detail about your setup, co2, ferts, lights, filter etc.

Quote:
hi all,
yes i did added some fast growing plants.
about 80% of my tank is filled up now.

2 days after i added plants i checked my water parameters.
my nitrates and phosphates are still same 10ppm.

how long should i wait to see if the plants can take those.....

or should i dose ferts....

i'vn't dosed anything for 3 days including today except excel.....

my plants,
crypts, hygro, dwarf sags. ludwigia
duckweed.

glad to hear.
to answer this, i would say only dose k+ and Traces for a week or two for now and see where the N and P are at after that, dose if needed.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Water Properties

Quote:
i checked my water parameters today.
i initially had goldfish and now i returned them and with no plants now..all ate up..

but i did change water 50% three days ago and yesterday again i change about 15%...
now readings as below:

ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
ph: 7.2
nitrate:10ppm
phosphate: 10ppm.

now i'm deciding to add plants first before the fish....since i've 10ppm phosphorus/nitrate, i'm bit worried about phosphorus side....
what would be best option to reduce phosphorus before i add plants.....

would it be better i add plants at least half the tank at first and after few weeks i can fish. i'm planning for small fish no more than 2inch at max about 6-8 in school.

any suggestion greatly appreciated.

thanks
Hello fern...

I've never been concerned with pH, hardness or anything of this nature. Since you have no fish at this point, there's no reason to be concerned with the chemistry of your tank water.

Research the plants you want and make sure you have the proper lighting. Get all the plants in and then, if you want to do a "fish in" cycle of your tank you can use Fancy Guppies, Platys or Zebra Danios. All are very hardy, smaller and will easily get through the cycling process.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello fern...

I've never been concerned with pH, hardness or anything of this nature. Since you have no fish at this point, there's no reason to be concerned with the chemistry of your tank water.

Research the plants you want and make sure you have the proper lighting. Get all the plants in and then, if you want to do a "fish in" cycle of your tank you can use Fancy Guppies, Platys or Zebra Danios. All are very hardy, smaller and will easily get through the cycling process.

B
i just added fish yesterday about 8 gold white cloud.
my ph is still 7.2
where ammonia & nitrite is 0.
this morning.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post

to answer this, i would say only dose k+ and Traces for a week or two for now and see where the N and P are at after that, dose if needed.
20gal 20long with 2X20watts 6500K cfl screw in the hood.
running about 8hrs light per day.

i'd this tank with goldfish before for two years i couldn't keep up with the algae and growing plants that where i returned and all my plants were ate up. so my tank was cycling without fish for two weeks where i changed about 75% of water.....

that's where i tested the water parameters.
before i added the plants i did change another 10%....

then its been 3 days i added plants.....

should i wait....or start fert...i've fert from rootmedic i bought while back liquid and capsules.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 12:33 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
should i wait....or start fert...i've fert from rootmedic i bought while back liquid and capsules.
To answer your questions in very specific terms, then we truly do need more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
Ditto.

To ask if you should start fertilizing now or not is like asking if you need to put more gas in your car. We can't possibly answer without knowing more details. As long as we do not have those details, the most we can offer are basic guidelines. So on that note...

Fertilizers do not harm tanks so there's no reason to not fertilize now. As long as you continue a 50% water change each week, you should be okay.

If you run into a problem, then we can help you which may entail a change in your fert dosing because problems are symptom which give us clues as to what's missing or in excess. Otherwise, we just don't worry about it.

So add ferts now or later, whichever you feel most comfortable with. If your plants look like they're growing as healthy as they possibly can, then maybe they're okay as they are. If not, then maybe you should add ferts now. If there's anyone or anything that can tell you what to do, it's the plants in your tank. Listen to them, and they'll tell you what to do.

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
my tank was cycling without fish for two weeks
This is not cycling. This is killing the bacteria because of no food.
Cycling is to ADD food for the bacteria so they grow, or at least maintain their population.

Anyway, a well planted tank and a small load of fish are just fine. The plants bring in more bacteria on their leaves and both the bacteria and the plants remove the fish waste.
Keep on monitoring it, but it sounds like things are fine.
If you get tired of trimming the fast growing plants you can gradually swap them out for better behaved, slower growing plants. The fast growing plants are the best at nitrogen removal, but once the tank is going well it is OK to change them out a little at a time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode